cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with Virgin 360

Analisa
Joining in

Is anyone else utterly disappointed that they upgraded to Virgin 360? The user interface is hideous, when viewing something that’s recorded you just get a list of all old and future recorded shows so you don’t know which one you’re up to. Can’t series link like you could on TiVo, no option to just view HD channels on the guide, layout is poor, can’t view the channel you’re watching in a small window while looking at the guide… need I go on! Wish I’d just stuck with TiVo as it’s infinitely better 😞

15 REPLIES 15

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most of that is UNTRUE.

The user interface is different and, in fact, more in tune with modern interfaces.

List of old and future recordings - try exploring a bit more by perhaps pressing down and OK. All will be revealed.

The series record function is not as rich as TiVo but certainly more than adequate with a bit of perseverance and acceptance.

HD channels are substituted for SD where available and, using a profile, you can have any Guide you want.

While in the Guide, the live channel or recording is displayed in a small window.

Are you sure you have a TV 360?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

the interface does not have half the options TiVo did. And I did set up a ‘profile’ with just HD channels but I have to keep selecting it when I look at the guide. HD channels should just be an option to view instead of having to keep selecting a profile over and over again as I’ll go back to the guide and it’s taken me out of the profile I set up.. Also cannot use my phone as a remote, that has been taken away too. I’m not impressed. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that this just looks like a beta version and is inferior to TiVo and should have been fine tuned before being offered to customers as an apparent ‘great freebie’. I’d rather have stuck with TiVo.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Analisa,

You say you've set up a profile for HD channels. You can view your favourites by pressing the profile button on the side of the remote and selecting your profile.

If you want your favourites to be there by default all the time then go to Settings > Profiles > Default Profile on Start Up and select the HD profile that you set up.  Once you've done that turn off your 360 using the rocker switch on the back left hand corner for a few minutes.  When it restarts only your favourites will show in the EPG. If you want to access the full channel  EPG click on the profile button on the right hand side of the 360 remote.

The 360 doesn't work with the TV Control app. You need to use the Virgin TV Go app instead. You can manage your recordings, and stream live TV and on demand content, also Sky Cinema using the  <<< virgin-tv-go-app >>> 

There is a page you might find useful containing tips on how to use the 360 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-360 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@Analisa wrote:

the interface does not have half the options TiVo did.

Its a different interface - you can't expect it to be the same as TiVo.

And I did set up a ‘profile’ with just HD channels but I have to keep selecting it when I look at the guide. HD channels should just be an option to view instead of having to keep selecting a profile over and over again as I’ll go back to the guide and it’s taken me out of the profile I set up..

As stated previously, the Guide should show you the HD equivalents of the SD ones.

Also cannot use my phone as a remote, that has been taken away too. I’m not impressed.

Download the TV Go app - there is remote functionality in that for your 360.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, mine is that this just looks like a beta version and is inferior to TiVo and should have been fine tuned before being offered to customers as an apparent ‘great freebie’. I’d rather have stuck with TiVo.

There is plenty of info on here on what the 360 does and how it differs to TiVo and what functions you would lose - nobody forced you to update........

...see above in red.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Analisa wrote:

Can’t series link like you could on TiVo, no option to just view HD channels on the guide

360 has a series-link function, but the TiVo/V6 undoubtedly has more options & tweaks available. Although some of it is down to 360 not displaying SD variants of channels when you have the HD version instead.

Others have already responded, but 360 is completely different to TiVo/V6, and no-one should consider it as anything else. A conversion to 360 is entirely voluntary at this time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Community elder

Hi Analisa,

Be sure to use the Advanced options when setting Series Links.

mikeplow1961
On our wavelength

It is genuinely terrible. 
Can't set record without selecting a show in the guide.
Search in the guide just brings up catch up episodes
Can't use a wishlist of shows/film titles that you'd like recorded if they ever show up in the guide.

Did they actually trial this with users? 

I want to downgrade or they can send me a new v6 box. I don't want this crippled rubbish.

@mikeplow1961 wrote:

It is genuinely terrible. 
Search in the guide just brings up catch up episodes
Can't use a wishlist of shows/film titles that you'd like recorded if they ever show up in the guide.

Did they actually trial this with users? 

I want to downgrade or they can send me a new v6 box. I don't want this crippled rubbish.

1 - You can’t downgrade. It’s a one way trip so there’s no going back. 
2 - If you get sent a new box, this will also have the 360 software. 
3 - Nobody forced you to upgrade, the choice was entirely yours. 
4 - The forum is littered with info on what the box can and cannot do. Perhaps you should have researched this BEFORE updating. 

😉

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mikeplow1961 wrote:

Both of these are current limitations of 360, and where the TiVo-software does have advantages.

However - as has already been pointed out - there's plenty of posts & discussions on these boards about the relative merits of the 2 software platforms. A conversion remains entirely voluntary and it's not forced on anyone.

Unfortunately for yourself, the conversion is a one-way trip and you can't revert.