cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete All Series Links Message?

deans6571
Wise owl

Just turned on my 360 and was greeted by a screen telling me to delete all my Series Links on BBC ONE HD and to set them up again, after 11th January’22 so that VM can ‘Bring some exiting new features’?!

I thought this may be due to a 360 update however my box is still on 4.36?! 

What is this all about?

DuncanCorps
Dialled in

I just saw this message for the first time today. Thanks for the zero notice, Virgin Media.

How does one find a list of Series Links/Season Passes on TV 360 for review? And how to know if they're set on BBC One HD specifically or all channels? AFAICT, none of the "record this series" things I've created are channel-specific (which is itself annoying - I get episodes from various channels recorded together).

Actually, better question: Why doesn't TV 360 manage this behind-the-scenes channel jiggery-pokery itself?

I wish I could go back to TiVo (the software which is on an non-"upgraded" V6)... As it is, TV 360 is making me want to leave, rather than stay with, Virgin Media...

Your right, 360 doesn’t have the same series link listing and features the V6 had, just one of many backward steps. Also, why can’t Virgin tell us why we need to do this and what the benefit is?

c'mon virgin it's not 1998 - you should be able to manage this for your users - why is an upgrade / feature coming in 2022 making work for your customers... that's not how you do it.  Honestly bloody crap (it was bad enough not being able to copy over my series links from Tivo to 360 but now you actually want me to start again with BBC 1 HD).

DuncanCorps
Dialled in

So, an urgent request for information prompted by the message I saw for the first time today and causing some angst in nearby posts and threads;

Important message about Planned recordings

Are you one of our customers in England? (don't you already know whether I am or not? surely you know where your customers live?)

If you are, from Tuesday 11 January we are going to need you to delete any Planned recordings you have on BBC One HD (why do you need us to do this?) and set them up again. (why can't you do this for us?)

We need someone to list clearly, step-by-step, how to;

1. List our Planned recordings (season passes, series links, whatever)
  2. Identify which ones are on BBC One HD (as opposed to just "whichever channel shows this programme")
  3. Delete them (I guess this is easy enough)
  4. Create new ones (and how they should be different)

... and these instructions need to;

• Tell us what to do differently when creating new Planned recordings
    • Seems unlikely that just creating a new recording on BBC One HD in place of one on BBC One HD would do what Virgin Media want of us - wouldn't they be the same?
  • Take account of programmes which are not yet in the EPG.
    • AFAICT, TV 360 is built around the EPG - if it ain't in the EPG ('cos it's not on this month, but will be on again soon) then it doesn't exist, can't have a recording set up, doesn't have a planned recording.

I know exactly how to do this in TiVo (inc. "V6", which is a TiVo box) - but wouldn't have to, channel management like this was done for us behind-the-scenes.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DuncanCorps wrote:

Seems unlikely that just creating a new recording on BBC One HD in place of one on BBC One HD would do what Virgin Media want of us - wouldn't they be the same?

That's exactly what you need to do if you're in England. Cancel and recreate the series link on the same BBC One HD EPG listing.

So that's go into Saved, pick My Planned Recordings > See All and make a note of each show that's on BBC One HD. Then use the trash icon to cancel the series recording for each one.

Once you've done that you can go through the EPG and set the series recordings again.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The onscreen message about having to reset series links on BBC1 HD was on the Home screen.

To be honest I knew about it originally as I'd seen it mentioned on another forum. I had to turn my 360 off to actually see it on the home screen.

It's to do with upcoming changes so VM are ready for when BBC1 regional programs will be available on BBC1 HD rather than just on the SD channel.

The 360 has actually been better than the V6 and TIVO boxes in regards channel changes and having to reset series links as up until now the background changes have been automatic on the 360. With the V6 and TIVO you always had to reset series links for any channel changes. I think on this particular occassion it's due to the regional variations whereas other channel changes were national.

With the 360 you can't set up recording for programs that aren't listed in the EPG (unlike on V6 and TIVO) but you should be able to go into Saved and check the programs in recorded and planned recordings andset them up again on BBC1 HD.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As i posted over here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/How-to-find-delete-and-recreate-BBC-One-HD-planne... the way to do is

Go into Saved, pick My Planned Recordings > See All and make a note of each show that's on BBC One HD. Then use the trash icon to cancel the series recording for each one.

Once you've done that you can go through the EPG and set the series recordings again.

@BenMcr wrote:

@DuncanCorps wrote:

Seems unlikely that just creating a new recording on BBC One HD in place of one on BBC One HD would do what Virgin Media want of us - wouldn't they be the same?

That's exactly what you need to do if you're in England. Cancel and recreate the series link on the same BBC One HD EPG listing.

So that's go into Saved, pick My Planned Recordings > See All and make a note of each show that's on BBC One HD. Then use the trash icon to cancel the series recording for each one.

How do we tell whether a Series link or whatever is on BBC One, BBC One HD, or Any Channel, It's Just The Next Showing Is On BBC One (HD)?

And does your suggestion;

• AFAICT, TV 360 is built around the EPG - if it ain't in the EPG ('cos it's not on this month, but will be on again soon) then it doesn't exist, can't have a recording set up, doesn't have a planned recording.

..?

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@DuncanCorps wrote:

How do we tell whether a Series link or whatever is on BBC One, BBC One HD, or Any Channel, It's Just The Next Showing Is On BBC One (HD)?

And does your suggestion;

• AFAICT, TV 360 is built around the EPG - if it ain't in the EPG ('cos it's not on this month, but will be on again soon) then it doesn't exist, can't have a recording set up, doesn't have a planned recording.

..?

On TV 360 each show listing in the Saved > Show all list has the channel logo that's being recorded from shown in the entry. 

You can't have a series link that looks across multiple channels. The same show from multiple channels will have more than one planned recording in the list.

In regards to the other questions, you can only change what you can see. 

@BenMcr wrote:
As i posted over here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/How-to-find-delete-and-recreate-BBC-One-HD-planne... the way to do is

Go into Saved, pick My Planned Recordings > See All and make a note of each show that's on BBC One HD. Then use the trash icon to cancel the series recording for each one.

Done mine just now - luckily I only had 2 series links which needed resetting. Weirdly though, the series links prior to today had already deleted themselves so I just needed to set them up again. 

I wonder if these changes actually happened last night as I had a weird spell on my 360 last night whereby the data light started flashing on my box for about half hour but then stopped?!