cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cutting off recordings

carlygreaves82
Joining in

Had Virgin a couple of months and having issues with recordings.

I have it set to carry on recording for 15mins after show is scheduled to end. This is because I tried the shorter ones and every recording finished early. 

Also when footie was on and soaps and usual programs moved times. The box didn't pick up the reschedule via the series link and instead recorded the footie? Is this normal? 

Getting frustrated, came from sky and never had these issues and it really isn't any cheaper. I was just over the poor c/s from sky.

8 REPLIES 8

covkid69
Up to speed

I’ve also extended all my recordings by 15 minutes as I was missing the endings of most recording….very frustrating 

What I meant to add is that it still cut off a show last night even though I have the 15 mins set

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did your recording match the "scheduled length of the programme according to the guide at the time of recording" plus whatever padding you had set?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@carlygreaves82 wrote:

I have it set to carry on recording for 15mins after show is scheduled to end. This is because I tried the shorter ones and every recording finished early. 

Is this on series links or one off recordings, if it's series links you may need to delete the SL and set a new one with the advanced options  Basically this shouldn't be happening, are you seeing the play next episode message in the top right corner if it's a series recording I think that will still be shown because it works with the epg times not your extended recording times.

Also when footie was on and soaps and usual programs moved times. The box didn't pick up the reschedule via the series link and instead recorded the footie? Is this normal? 

If the epg didn't update then yes it would record what the guide said was on, if the guide changes in time I have seen a failed recording for the original recording and then a recording for the new schedule. 

Getting frustrated, came from sky and never had these issues and it really isn't any cheaper. I was just over the poor c/s from sky.

I keep seeing sky c/s is good, it will be interesting to see your thoughts when you speak to virgins.

I'm not really sure what you mean. I select record and usually entire series if it's a series, through the guide and that is all I should have to do right. If I record a programme I expect it to record it not to have to check the length of time. So I.e an episode of Emmerdale could be 30 mins or an hour, I have 15 mins padding at end and 2 mins at start. It should pick the entire episode up regardless. Right?

So most things I record are series links. Pretty poor UX if I have to delete the link after I change the settings though. But I'll give it a go.

The footie I'm referring to was the Euros so the guide was correct with the match listed but my box still attempted to record Emmerdale for example at 730 instead of at the revised time of 930 after the footie. It did this on both ITV and BBC, had to then find those episodes on the iplayer or hub to watch them as I just had 30 mins of a footie match instead. Obviously the soaps are long standing links I should have to reset those because of a schedule change right?

The sky c/s is more about the loyalty thing and the cat and mouse at renewal time. I know all companies do this but they buggered up my deal at the last 2 renewals and would not budge on a price less than £120 this time round so it was see ya later. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You need to be comparing your recording times with what's in the EPG (TV Guide) at the time.

So if you have a SL for Emmerdale, and it's in the EPG for 7.30-8pm then your box should record that with whatever padding you've got set.

If the broadcaster (ITV in this case) is running late, and doesn't start showing Emmerdale until 7.45pm but it's showing on the EPG at 7.30pm, then you'll record 15minutes of whatever was on before, and miss the final 15minutes.

If ITV change the scheduled slot of Emmerdale a short time before broadcast (they don't tend to do this, the BBC do), your box's EPG still has it in the 7.30pm slot and will record it accordingly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Because the football went into extra time it pushed the scheduled programmes back and unfortunately the guide didn't update to take that into account, so the 360 still recorded what it thought was Emmerdale at 7.30.