cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting 360 box and hub.

MotherMut
Joining in

Basically my hub and 360 box are on opposite ends of a large room. What am I supposed to do? The cables provided obviously won't reach.

Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 19.32.40.png

8 REPLIES 8

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All VM's TV boxes need 2 connections.

1: The coax connection for live TV, this is a physical cable connection.

2: The internet connection, which on a V6 or 360 is via your homehub. This can be via Ethernet or WiFi.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Do I have to use the cable? 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you mean the coax cable, then yes. Virgin Media, being a cable-TV platform, deliver live TV over the coax cable and without it - none of their TV boxes will work.

The Ethernet cable between your 360 & the homehub can be substituted with a WiFi connection if necessary.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks. How do I connect them if they're both on opposite ends of the room?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MotherMut wrote:

Thanks. How do I connect them if they're both on opposite ends of the room?

Refer to post-2 above, which connection are you querying?

The coax has to be physically connected, there's no getting around that. If your 360 isn't within range of the coax connection point, then you will need to move either the 360 (yourself) or the coax point (via VM).

The internet connection can be either Ethernet or WiFi. If you want to use WiFi, then make sure there's no Ethernet cable plugged into the 360 (this will disable WiFi) and go into the Settings > Network > Connection type menu, to connect the 360 to your router wirelessly.

The coax. Would I need an engineer to install a second point or get a really long hdmi cable then? 

Eeeps
Well-informed

Are you a new VM customer or have you just added the TV package?

Have you got the 360 box setup and working. If not and you are within your 14 day cooling off period give VM a call and ask for a engineer installation as you don't have a cable socket for your 360.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The long HDMI cable is the interim solution for sure.

@Eeepshas made an excellent point 're how you've got to where you are now, and all I can do is to reinforce this. This is classic case of - if we understand how you've got to where you are, then we can advise how to resolve it. But you will need VM's physical intervention to move the coax point, for sure.