cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Channel order

Robert969
On our wavelength

Why are BBC one HD and Channel 4 HD channels not the default for 101 and 104. BBC2, ITV and Channel 5 are all defaulted to the HD channels.

3 REPLIES 3

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Independent of the actual answer to your query, just create a profile which includes only the channels you want in the order you want.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Until such time as the BBC have HD in all their regions, then SD will probably remain the default.

C4 are HD on 104 in London, 141 in HD everywhere else - I believe this is to do with regional advertising.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Robert969 wrote:

Why are BBC one HD and Channel 4 HD channels not the default for 101 and 104. BBC2, ITV and Channel 5 are all defaulted to the HD channels.

OFCOM decrees that the local version of BBC & ITV programmes are carried on 101 & 103 respectively. ITV1HD is now on 103 as all their regions are now in HD. The BBC only carries the national regions (Wales, Scotland & NI) in HD. These regions therefore carry BBC1 HD on 101. All the English regions are still in SD, hence these must go on 101. They could easily put BBC1 HD on 101 in London & Manchester as all Portland Place & Media City studios output is in HD. However, at the risk of being accused of discrimination by licence fee payers in the rest of the regions they have chosen not to do this.

As per the post above CH4 has several advertising regions. Only the London advertising is carried in HD, so only the London region has CH4 HD on 104, in the rest of the regions it’s on 141.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993