cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch up app integration

jamesharvey94
Tuning in

Can we expect the catch up programs on ITV Hub and All4 to be directly linked to the native apps, as they are on BBC iPlayer?

It is frustrating having two separate means of watching the same programs which don't communicate so there is mixed info on where you have watched up to...

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jamesharvey94 

ITV Hub will be changing to ITVX later this year, around the time of the Football Wolrd Cup.

There will be an add version and also a paid for add free version.

There's a write up on https://rxtvinfo which says the new app will be embedded into VM systems allowing full user experience.

Those watching ITV on Demand via VM and Sky fell by over 20%, which ITV says is because it had to reduce the availability of drama and box sets on those platforms because it couldn't monetise them.  The new app means more drama and boxsets will eb available as ITV will have the advertising revenue.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To be fair, there are several advantages in using VM's in-house VoD system rather than the branded apps - although the broadcasters don't see it that way, and additional content is one flip-side. Adverts on VoD can be skipped past and content is generally in HD, not always the case with the broadcaster's apps.

Having said that, ITV box-set content was removed from VM's OD platform earlier this year so draw your own conclusions as to what direction ITV might want to take.

All that said... all of VM's TV boxes allow recording and that will always be a better solution than relying on any cloud/VoD/streaming based solution.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

In fairness that does make sense. Better then to stick to one or another if you want to keep track on a series. I just assumed the content would be delivered HD on the apps, good to know! 

Cheers! 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @jamesharvey94 

ITV Hub will be changing to ITVX later this year, around the time of the Football Wolrd Cup.

There will be an add version and also a paid for add free version.

There's a write up on https://rxtvinfo which says the new app will be embedded into VM systems allowing full user experience.

Those watching ITV on Demand via VM and Sky fell by over 20%, which ITV says is because it had to reduce the availability of drama and box sets on those platforms because it couldn't monetise them.  The new app means more drama and boxsets will eb available as ITV will have the advertising revenue.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali