cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use my old sky twin coaxial cable for my new virgin 360 tv

Dan124
Settling in

Hi,

I recently upgraded my package from the 200mb broadband and phone to the 350mb broadband, phone and virgin 360 tv.

Previously i was with sky for my tv but thought i may as well cancel if virgin are going to provide tv for the same price.

My virgin hub is in a different room so wiring the new virgin tv 360 box isn't an option as i don't want to bring up old floorboards or be drilling and pushing cables through walls.

I connected the virgin tv box successfully via WiFi instead of using the ethernet approach as it won't reach my hub that is downstairs in another room.

I'm receiving error 2004 on my new tv box at the minute which is obviously due to not having a coaxial cable connected at the minute as its still cable tv.

The new virgin 360 tv box has a coaxial input but i only have two male coaxial cables for my old sky box (one for streaming, another for recording). Can i somehow reuse this for the new virgin 360 tv box without having a new box installed at my tv point or without having a wired connection. It would be handy if i could use my existing dish and setup in my new tv box

This is all a little new to me so any help and what options i have would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Dan,

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/cs2004 is a connection error.

I'm afraid each VM set top box needs a coaxial connection so you can watch live TV.

VM cabling is specially made and shielded to avoid interference with other apparatus and any other cabling, including Sky's is unsuitable.

Using other cabling would cause errors not just for  yourself but also other VM customers.

If your TV is capable, and has a satellite tuner,  you would still be able to use the Sky coaxial to receive satellite channels via the TV in addition to having VM tech setting up the correct cabling for the 360.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Dan,

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/cs2004 is a connection error.

I'm afraid each VM set top box needs a coaxial connection so you can watch live TV.

VM cabling is specially made and shielded to avoid interference with other apparatus and any other cabling, including Sky's is unsuitable.

Using other cabling would cause errors not just for  yourself but also other VM customers.

If your TV is capable, and has a satellite tuner,  you would still be able to use the Sky coaxial to receive satellite channels via the TV in addition to having VM tech setting up the correct cabling for the 360.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Dan124
Settling in

Hi Dave,

I'll call VM then and see if i can arrange an engineer to fit the required equipment.

Thanks for your help.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It certainly sounds you like a manned engineer installation here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Dan124

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issue installing your 360 box. I've have checked our system and been unable to find the service you mention you have upgraded to. Do you still require a manned install appointment booking or have you been in touch with us already and have arranged this yourself? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley