cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNN no longer available after August 31st

ModTeam

Hello, 

Due to WarnerMedia’s plans to move to a subscription model for the CNN news channel, it will no longer be available on Virgin TV after 31 August. Customers can still watch and catch up on the latest news on major news channels such as BBC News, Sky News, Bloomberg and many others.

For more information on this channel closure, please click here.

Many thanks, 

Community Mods

54 REPLIES 54

And will require a good download speed too - which OpenReach are still unable to provide to many.

@Anonymous wrote:

@pdampier wrote:

I think Sky are bringing out their IP STB next year. Question remains will Sky Broadband be needed to go along side it or can it be used with any broadband provider.

It will only be available to Sky Broadband customers. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

pdampier
On our wavelength

Delivering a 1080p HEVC feed does not require much bandwidth! Openreach networks easily capable.

For a single channel fine - for multiple channels recording and/or UHD - you do.need the bandwidth.

The issues for most will be at their cabinet to house cable.

Even today - many BT customers can not have BT Sport Ultimate as that requires 28Mb/s on its own and it leaves little for anything else including Internet usage.

@pdampier wrote:

Delivering a 1080p HEVC feed does not require much bandwidth! Openreach networks easily capable.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

pepster
On our wavelength

While I appreciate what they've said, there are two things which just gripe me...

• This is still available on Sky in HD, I was hoping that VM were going to move to HD for CNN rather than lose it all together
  • My SonyTV has sat inputs on it I've checked and I can still receive CNN HD free from the Astra satellite, which means FREESat customers can load this channel in 'non-freesat' mode.
  • We are losing other channels due to change in market, some are ceasing like FOX HD, but channels like CNN which are FTA and are on Sky but not on the Virgin pay-tv platform sends a message to me that Virgin could lose other services which could potentially be free on other platforms due to 'contractual issues' and they're offering is getting weakened.
  • Their slate which shows alternatives of Sky, BBC and Bloomberg suggests they don't know why people tuned into CNN.  They wanted an international perspective on news stories, which has been increasing important with the events of the last year.  Further to this Bloomberg isn't even a news channel it's a business news channel, so they don't even fully understand their own channel line-up.

I've seen a lot of comments on Twitter with people far then impressed with this situation, personally I'll be reviewing my options at contract renewal like many others I would guess... Since I signed my last contract Openreach have installed FTTP and Virgin's TV offering is not offering what I need now... I think after 20+ of being with Virgin at various premises, it is time to go!

pdampier
On our wavelength

Totally agree I am moving to freeview and symmetrical 1000/1000Gbps community fibre once my contract is up in Dec and will use the considerable savings to pay the $20 a year for CNN. 

very aggravating losing CNN as it was part of the reason I chose Virgin over freeview to begin with.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Channels are disappearing from all platforms. Some at the same time, some at different times depending on contractual arrangements. Some never appear at all. ITVBe HD has never been on Sky, Eden was removed from Sky over a year ago but still remains on Virgin. It depends what the broadcaster wants to pay & what their target audiance is.

CNN have now encrypted their Eutelsat broadcasts to Europe, cutting out another DBS route to FTA receivers. It is only a matter of time before Astra & Hotbird go the same way. I can see some pruning of these links coming soon as duplicated distribution is removed, & the CNN app is rolled out to more countries.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

MSOLDN
Joining in

As a longtime US expat in London, I’ve been viewing CNN International on both satellite and cable platforms in the UK since the early 1990s. The abrupt loss of CNN (80% of the TV viewing in my household) is, for my wife and I, the equivalent of losing all the BBC, ITV, and Sky channels overnight. Providing streaming access on mobile devices is a very weak replacement. I am putting a lot of pressure on both CNN and Virgin Media to upgrade the CNN app on the 360 set-top box, to provide live streaming to those who have now paid the monthly/annual CNN streaming subscription fee, and are entitled to resume watching easily on our usual large screens. So far, the responses I’m receiving from both parties are vague and bureaucratic, and frankly very disrespectful to people like me who have been loyal to both CNN International and Virgin Media for decades!! 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Could you receive CNN on your mobile device and 'cast' it to your TV screen? 

That's not a perfect solution but might be worth trying. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

On Samsung TV  (TV plus) app thing 

There are cnn cnn+1 and CNN hd streams that are free.  Testing now seams fine.   

Yogesh29
Joining in

Am I right in thinking Virgin media  could not get the deal approved for some technical reasons. That is why many subscribers are leaving virginmedia and joining SKY. They're more interested in mid term elections. I am sure BBC and Sky will bring full coverage.  But I  think they want to  follow other latest news happening in USA.  

Does anyone know when virginmedia are going to add Disney plus also if they going to bring Peacock Apps., Paramount plus,  or any other Apps.