cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNN no longer available after August 31st

ModTeam

Hello, 

Due to WarnerMedia’s plans to move to a subscription model for the CNN news channel, it will no longer be available on Virgin TV after 31 August. Customers can still watch and catch up on the latest news on major news channels such as BBC News, Sky News, Bloomberg and many others.

For more information on this channel closure, please click here.

Many thanks, 

Community Mods

54 REPLIES 54

We already pay VM a subscription.
They have more than enough revenue to pay for it.

Of the hundreds of channel on Virgin, most are absolute dross.  Of the few that are worth watching CNN is ( or was ) one of the very best. I would gladly ditch the majority of others in order to keep CNN.

Oh this is a huge disappointment!  I hoped it may have been switching to HD but to lose it completely?

What US news channel will be replacing it?  

pdampier
On our wavelength

Well good thing with Rakuten TV offering CNN (or worse case pay CNN 20 quid for the year) it hastens my move off Virgin to Community Fiber which is literally half the cost and 1Gbps symmetrical versus the M600 Ultimate Ooomps package I have today.

martinianpaul
Superfast

It's worrying, the number of channels and platforms moving to a chargeable model.  Worrying, but not surprising.  Soon it'll be a case of a VM or Sky subscription PLUS x number of additional subs (I know its already the case with Netflix, Disney etc). 

"Due to WarnerMedia’s plans to move to a subscription model for the CNN news channel, it will no longer be available on Virgin TV"

Basically Virgin have had a disagrement on paying anymore for the channel and they're passing on the blame, the channel is still going be on Sky.

They talk about Virgin TV like it's a free to air service, its not, its subscription tv and therefore carries subscription channels.

I can understand moving it to higher packages but to just totally remove it, Such a cop out.

Virgin would of been allowed it like Sky, they just won't pay for it, everything's on the cheap.

We it's not all bad news  there's a USA news channel called fox news that's being added soon.   Probably like for like swap . 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Swf wrote:

We it's not all bad news  there's a USA news channel called fox news that's being added soon.   Probably like for like swap . 

Fox news is certainly bad news. In both senses of the word.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Swf wrote:

Hi again swf,

Haven't seen you around for a while.

Have you got a source about Fox News coming back to VM?

The reason I'm asking is because Fox UK closed as a TV channel on Wednesday, June 30, 2021 after its owners, Disney, decided to shift operations towards its streaming service. tv/fox-uk-no-longer-available-20929625 

"Disney announced in a statement in May that it would be ceasing operations of its Fox UK channel after 17 years.

It didn’t provide a specific reason as to why, but it’s believed to be linked to the company’s desire to shift operations towards its Disney Plus streaming service. ...... 

Star, an arm of Disney Plus which was launched earlier this year, is believed to be a big reason for the move, and Disney even mentioned this in the statement.

On Twitter, the company said: “On 30th June the FOX channel in the UK will close. Many titles will become available on Star on Disney+ and will be announced in the near future.

“We appreciate the support of our UK fans and can’t wait to keep sharing the best stories with you.”

Hopefully VM will add Disney Plus in the near future, but it would probably still mean paying for the Disney Plus app.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

unisoft
Well-informed

So thats:

• Disney Channels
  • FOX channel (+1,HD)
  • CNN
  • National Geographic Wild
  • National Geographic (+1, HD)
  • Discovery Channels (in 2023)
  • E! (By 2023)
  • Zee TV (Jan 2022)
  • NDTV (NTDV Spice)
  • LifeTime HD
  • BET TV

either gone or going to go.

Does the subscription reduce as a result as nothing like for like to replace? Looking very likely I'll be ditching TV on contract renewal. national Geographic was a blow, Disney when it went too, ad not looking forward to bunch of Discovery channels going, though may get another year before that happens.