cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering

YoungSteve
Joining in

We had 2 x 360 box's a main and a mini, the main is upstairs as we have to work from home and have good wifi, so the router is in the bedroom with the main 360 box to record programs and send them to the mini box downstairs.

Since set up by an engineer we have always had buffering probelms to the mini box and we solved this by not recording in HD, now that BBC etc have gone to HD we are getting the buffering back again.

With the landline phone due to be plugged into the router I think this may cause even further problems.

I have a TP link between the router and the mini box.

Any thoughts on how we can get a guaranteed recording and playback via the mini box?

These box's are certainly worse than the older TIVO boxs.

16 REPLIES 16

So the latest is that an engineer came out, box's are all OK, he suggested having connection via WIFI as he said ethernet (TP link 200mb ethernet) gives a differing signal!!, if the problem keeps on occurring to swap the mini and main box over. I am not convinced this will work as my WIFI signal strength goes down to 40/50/50 MB in an evening only. The engineers come during the day. Nothing unusual connected on an evening. So I will change over the box's keep the connection via WIFI and see what happens.

If it does not get better then my wife suggested that we have 2 x main box's and not connect them (TIVO system), lets see what happens.

Has anyone else had similar problems with WIFI signal dropping dramatically during the evening?

Thanks again everyone for your help.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Swapping the 2 boxes around as a diagnostic exercise would be no bad thing, also trying a wireless connection to eliminate a problem with your TP link setup. All things being equal, wired is always preferable to wireless - but the more bits you can rule out!

Your suggestion of having 2 x V6 masters running TiVo-software is a non-starter. Anyone can voluntarily move from TiVo/V6 > 360, but once you're on 360 there is no going back.

As for WiFi dropping off at certain times, that would suggest wireless congestion or additional devices being used at those times. A WiFi-analyser such as inSSIDer is the best place to start.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

So the main box is connected by ethernet cable to the hub and the mini box is connected using a tplink connection, I would have thought the engineer would have suggested removing the tplink and using virgin wifi boosters if only to keep it all in house. If you use the connect app does it show blackspots or do you have a hub 4 which is incompatible with the connect app. Possibly your best solution is to get your own router and use the virgin hub in modem mode, which hub do you have.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The only way to go back to a TIVO box would be to cancel the VM broadband as it has it's own inbuilt modem. This would be the older, slower box and not a V6. Doing that might also incur early termination charges for the broadband and affect any current discounts you may have

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @YoungSteve,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your 360 boxes.

I can see that the community has been helping you with this, can you let me know if your issue is now resolved?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

As I have mentioned the problem is with a big drop in internet speed in the evening (but not every evening).

I have tried connecting the mini box via wifi and it kept dropping out so that is now back to ethernet and I have swopped the main box to downstairs and the mini box upstairs which is plugged into the router. The other night I turned all devices off apart from the virgin equipment but it still dropped down to 100mb from 210 during the day.

I am now going to leave the set up as is (mini box upstairs connected to the router and tp link, main box downstairs connected to tp link) and see what happens.

So nothing defined as to why the signal strength drops but I will put up with it so long as the TV works (no buffering and recordings are OK) and internet during the day for those of us that are still working from home.

Lets see what happens.

All that the engineer could do was check the connections said all was OK and changed the connection from ethernet to wifi, which I thought was strange. Now its back to ethernet.

Hi YoungSteve,

Thank you for reaching back out and for the update, glad to hear you may have fixed the TV issue, in regards to the speed dropping I have had another look our end and cannot see any issues at all, please keep an eye on things and please let us know how things go.

Regards

Paul.