cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buffering

YoungSteve
Joining in

We had 2 x 360 box's a main and a mini, the main is upstairs as we have to work from home and have good wifi, so the router is in the bedroom with the main 360 box to record programs and send them to the mini box downstairs.

Since set up by an engineer we have always had buffering probelms to the mini box and we solved this by not recording in HD, now that BBC etc have gone to HD we are getting the buffering back again.

With the landline phone due to be plugged into the router I think this may cause even further problems.

I have a TP link between the router and the mini box.

Any thoughts on how we can get a guaranteed recording and playback via the mini box?

These box's are certainly worse than the older TIVO boxs.

16 REPLIES 16

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What does your 360 report for WiFi-signal strength under (I think - I use a V6) Settings > Network > Diagnostic.

Having your landline delivered over IP shouldn't make any difference to what is likely a wireless issue.

@YoungSteve wrote:

I have a TP link between the router and the mini box.

Are the master and minis on the same IP subnet?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Jagpitts,

The mini box, connected to the router has a HIGH connection speed, the main box downstairs has a GOOD connection speed. Both are connected via ethernet.

I am not sure what an IP Subnet is, both boxs are connected via a TP Link (plug into the electrical socket) connector and are the only ones used within the house.

Hope this helps/clears up any questions.

When the buffering happens you can press pause for a few minutes and it will then mostly work OK till you fast forward through the adverts, then buffering again. Its so so frustrating.

But thanks for looking into this for me.

Regards

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@YoungSteve wrote:

I am not sure what an IP Subnet is, both boxs are connected via a TP Link (plug into the electrical socket) connector and are the only ones used within the house.

Regards

You can check the IP subnet by going to Settings > Network > Diagnostics  - it's under IPv4 address as in 192.168.0.x/xx

It's the ones I've highlighted in bold and x would be a number between 1 and 255

If it doesn't begin 192.168.0 then it's an incorrect subnet.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

192.168.0.66/24 is the address for the main box plugged into the router

192.168.0.72/24 is the address for the mini box downstairs.

Thanks

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That's fine then. Some of VM's licencing conditions require devices to be on the same network as the recording box, and the IP is how this is enforced.

Buffering on VoD/streaming is normally associated with poor internet conditions, and from what you've said I'm not unconvinced this is the case here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I suspect signals are not good enough via the powerline, to check this run an Ethernet cable direct from the hub to the mini box.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hi YoungSteve, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you've been having an issue with this. I have checked our systems and can see your signal levels are out creating a long term performance issue. 

We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi YoungSteve,

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment 
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi YoungSteve, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message. We only use this when needing to swap personal information. As we're not doing that, you can reply and update your public thread instead. 

Dependant on how busy the area connection is, this can play a part in lower speeds if and when there is more traffic than usual but depending on how you are connecting, it can be to do with interference and how many devices are being used at the time too. 

Please let us know how you get on with the engineer's suggestions via your thread and we can go from there. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team