cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Box not booting after Virgin 360 upgrade - question

supered
On our wavelength

Apologies in advance. This is a bit of a rant.

We upgraded from V6 to Virgin 360 last Friday over the air have had nothing but issues since. First we lost our recordings and now the box won't boot after a simple restart (switching of the power button on the back and switching back on). This was in response to various pictures on the UI not displaying properly, including the channel logos. Now I wish I hadn't bothered!

I refuse to believe that the hard drive has suddenly failed. It's possible, but unlikely it as everything was working well under V6. It seems to me that this is software issue. Working in IT I should have realised in-place upgrades are never a good idea.

To be fair the person we spoke to on the phone this afternoon was brilliant and took it for granted that we had tried to restart the box multiple times and has arranged for a  2nd line tech to call back today. I suspect it will need a an engineer to attend and a new box though.

My question is, why do so many boxes seem to fail soon after they upgrade to Virgin 360? There are a lot of posts about this. Is the software really that bad that it bricks boxes?

Thanks for listening.

Eddie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for coming back to us, Eddie. 

Any recordings cannot be transferred over I'm afraid.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi supered / Eddie.

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

My apologies for the upgrade issue with the 360. No normally most software conversions go fine but I appreciate the annoyance. Recordings aren't able to be transferred so this isn't a fault as such. 

It normally will need a tech if indeed it is the hard drive but let us know how you get on either way.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

deans6571
Wise owl

@supered wrote:

Apologies in advance. This is a bit of a rant.

We upgraded from V6 to Virgin 360 last Friday over the air have had nothing but issues since. First we lost our recordings and now the box won't boot after a simple restart (switching of the power button on the back and switching back on). This was in response to various pictures on the UI not displaying properly, including the channel logos. Now I wish I hadn't bothered!

I refuse to believe that the hard drive has suddenly failed. It's possible, but unlikely it as everything was working well under V6. It seems to me that this is software issue. Working in IT I should have realised in-place upgrades are never a good idea.

To be fair the person we spoke to on the phone this afternoon was brilliant and took it for granted that we had tried to restart the box multiple times and has arranged for a  2nd line tech to call back today. I suspect it will need a an engineer to attend and a new box though.

My question is, why do so many boxes seem to fail soon after they upgrade to Virgin 360? There are a lot of posts about this. Is the software really that bad that it bricks boxes?

Thanks for listening.

Eddie

Well, the 'issue' about your recordings vanishing isn't an issue seeing that the hard drive gets wiped during the update (this is also well documented in these forums).

The other 'issue' you talk about "...why do so many boxes seem to fail soon after they upgrade to Virgin 360" is also in the minority. If you think about it, there must be hundreds of people who have updated and have had no problems (me included) but you only see the handful who actually come on here to say they have a problem (the same scenario applies to people who say a specific update has bricked their smartphone or games console) so you then wrongly assume it applies to the masses, when it actually doesn't.

Its clear though that there must be something going on with your box so I'll let someone else respond on that......

supered
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply John. I did know about loosing my recordings when we upgraded. However after the upgrade I recorded some shows but after a reboot I lost them along with all the planned recordings. Now this. I'm starting to think it's been more hassle than it's worth and wish we'll stayed with V6, but we'll persevere anyway.

One question, if we do get a new 360 box it possible to transfer planned recordings to the new box? The details are still accessible in the Vigil TV Go app despite the box not being on.  I assume recordings can't transfer (hard drive issues permitting).

Eddie

Thanks for coming back to us, Eddie. 

Any recordings cannot be transferred over I'm afraid.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

supered
On our wavelength

@deans6571 wrote:

Well, the 'issue' about your recordings vanishing isn't an issue seeing that the hard drive gets wiped during the update (this is also well documented in these forums).

The other 'issue' you talk about "...why do so many boxes seem to fail soon after they upgrade to Virgin 360" is also in the minority. If you think about it, there must be hundreds of people who have updated and have had no problems (me included) but you only see the handful who actually come on here to say they have a problem (the same scenario applies to people who say a specific update has bricked their smartphone or games console) so you then wrongly assume it applies to the masses, when it actually doesn't.

Its clear though that there must be something going on with your box so I'll let someone else respond on that......

Thanks for your reply and your perspective. 🙂

Sorry I should clarify that I knew about the loosing the recordings when upgrading, that was fine. The lost recordings happened after we upgraded  and had recorded new shows. They vanished along with all the planned recordings I spent ages setting up.

roy247
Community elder

@supered wrote:

This was in response to various pictures on the UI not displaying properly, including the channel logos. Now I wish I hadn't bothered!

I have seen problems with the channel logos being very slow to load before but this problem usually corrects itself, could be a problem with the network somewhere or the server the images are downloaded from, these images don't come down the coax they come via the internet.

supered
On our wavelength

Just an update that we got a call from a 2nd line tech and we were offered a new box or a tech visit so we opted for a new box. I think getting a tech out would just delay the inevitable. Fingers crossed the replacement will be trouble free.

Thumbs up for the service from tech support 🙂

Thanks for all your comments.

Eddie

Good Evening @supered,

Thanks for the update, do please keep us posted with how you get along with the new set top box

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

supered
On our wavelength

Still no sign of our new box. We were told it would be up to 48 hours so it should be here by the end of today. What's strange though is that we haven't received any emails or messages to say it's on it way.