cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Box noise very loud

Essman
Joining in

Hello 

My parents joined Virgin Media in June.  When the the 360 Box was installed, I found the box was very noisy. I advised they speak to customer service to get it fixed.

Virgin had sent an engineer to check it out, and advised it was normal.

However, from reading these forums, many people say the box should make no noise at all. The noise happens as soon as the box is turned on, and also for a long period when in standby mode. I am unsure if it a fan or whirring of hard drive. It is loud enough that it can be heard over the TV volume.

Please can someone confirm if this is expected or not?

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

My box makes a noise as did the TiVo box before it.  It's the hard drive(s) as I understand.

In a quiet room I can hear the drives. In a more normal room - people talking, TV on at low volume levels the box noise cannot be heard.

Thanks for your insight.

We have come from using Sky, where none of the boxes were audible over the TV.  Even many PCs are pretty quiet these days - so for a top notch TV box it's quite unexpected, and really ruins the experience especially when watching movies.

Nevermind. Thanks anyway

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I said in my post I can only hear the drives in a quiet room. At TV volume levels, and not loud volumes, I can't hear a thing.

If I could hear the noise when watching TV I'd complain.

roy247
Community elder

Hi Essman,

You shouldn't be able to hear the 360 making any noise over the TV sound, it's more than likely a noisy fan, you need to call Virgin again.

Hi Essman, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that a noisy box is causing some issues. 

As mentioned above, whilst we would expect some level of noise, we wouldn't expect it to be so loud that it interferes with your viewing experience. 

Just to check a few things with you:

• Can you confirm the box is well ventilated and not in a confined space? 
  • Are you able to place something underneath the box such as a tea towel to see if this makes any difference? 

I'm happy to take a look in to things but I've been unable to locate your account via your forum credentials. I will need to confirm some information with you in order for me to proceed with checks. I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs