cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT ultimate not triggering HDR

TouchingCloth
Up to speed

Watching chelsea v villa real on bt ultimate. The picture on my LG oled is incredibly saturated and bright like its  in the shocking vivid picture mode that TV's tend to have. It's as if it's being transmitted in HDR but it's not triggering my tv to switch to HDR mode as would happen with other HDR streams. 

I have backed off every setting in an effort to make it watchable to no avail. Researching suggests HDR from BT is only available via apps on various devices, but not through the virgin BT ultimate channel.

Anyone else got similar issues. 

16 REPLIES 16

That isn't a problem I've seen with BT Sport Ultimate.

@Bladehearts wrote:

Given that BT Ultimate is Virgin's only UHD sport offering, its utterly ridiculous that the channel is unwatchably bright and therefore forces people to downgrade to the BT HD Channel.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

It's not like it all the time. Last few live football matches I have watched were like this. Which made me think it was attempting to decode a UHD HDR.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't find the BT Ultimate channel too bright.

That may be down to the way I've set up my TV.

There are a number of different modes to switch between dependent on the TV involved. I have my LG set to Sports mode. 

My sister has all filters on the TV except local dimming set on high, and the picture mode set to home cinema,  along with enhanced HDMI on.

Experiment with your TV settings.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

If you have set your grayscale and then your colour levels on your TV and it's good for over 95% of channels you shouldn't have to then select the overcompensated inbuilt sports and vivid settings on your TV, unless you like watching unnatural pictures, if thats your choice it's a free country, and if you are watching BT Sport and switch between HD and UHD for the same premier league football game you shouldn't have to change anything unless the quality of the source to your TV has been screwed somewhere down the line.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

If you have set your grayscale and then your colour levels on your TV and it's good for over 95% of channels you shouldn't have to then select the overcompensated inbuilt sports and vivid settings on your TV, unless you like watching unnatural pictures, if thats your choice it's a free country, and if you are watching BT Sport and switch between HD and UHD for the same premier league football game you shouldn't have to change anything unless the quality of the source to your TV has been screwed somewhere down the line.

Does  that also apply to watching  different sources on your TV such as DVD, Blue ray, android boxes?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

In most cases 'here' we are talking about pictures supplied by virgin and I doubt that BT would normally expect you to have to change all your settings if you switch between HD and UHD. I do know there has been recent problems with BT.

In general terms I would say once you have set a good grayscale it doesn't take much tweaking if your DVD, Blu ray, android box video levels are different.

The issue I had was with  specific broadcasts on the BT ultimate channel.  Generally my chosen settings are perfect for all output from the 360 box. I have  a couple of  isf calibrated modes that I have preset that are supposed to be very accurate. You can't legislate for poor output though if the feed is below par for the likes of sky sports HD channels. Over compressed but they get away with it. Obviouly to force people to take up the UHD option. 

I remember watching the origional HD output 10 years or so ago, and todays UHD is no better than that used to be on the same sized screen in most instances. The real benefit is High Dynamic Range, sadly this is vary scarce unless you have access to top tier streaming services with a good internet speed. Fortunately for all my grumbles, Virgin have been head and shoulders above its competitors in this regard.