cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC1 SD

DaveGlassboy
Tuning in

Why is there no longer an SD version of BBC1?

Bearing in mind that so called HD looks exactly the same as SD I object to having to use a channel that uses extra space on the Tivo box for no reason.

We still have an SD version of BBC2 so why not BBC1?

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM have, for quite a while now, been putting HD versions of channels in the more prominent EPG positions, and on the 360, replacing them entirely where a customer's package includes both. BBC1 is just the latest, now that regional HD is available.

Not all BBC regions are fully HD-capable, and that means some SD content is upscaled - but there's no going back to BBC1-SD now, and the regions will become HD-capable in time.

You've posted in the 360 board but made reference to TiVo - the two boxes are very, very, different.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Adding to what japitts said is it a Tivo, V6 Tivo or 360 box.

If you do have a 360 and want to watch BBC1 in SD it's on 861 and BBC2 SD is on 865, 101 and 102 versions are both HD.

When you say it's using extra space are you talking about recordings ?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

Adding to what japitts said is it a Tivo, V6 Tivo or 360 box.

If you do have a 360 and want to watch BBC1 in SD it's on 861 and BBC2 SD is on 865, 101 and 102 versions are both HD.

The feeds for the SD versions VM use are satellite feeds for Sky & Freesat customers. The BBC has yet to sign transponder leases to upgrade these services to HD. When they are upgraded later this year the SD versions will be shut down after a transitional period as ITV1 has already done. Then it will be HD whether you like it or not.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

@nodrogd wrote:

@roy247 wrote:

The feeds for the SD versions VM use are satellite feeds for Sky & Freesat customers. The BBC has yet to sign transponder leases to upgrade these services to HD. When they are upgraded later this year the SD versions will be shut down after a transitional period as ITV1 has already done. Then it will be HD whether you like it or not.

So until that time anyone who wishes to watch in SD can carry on watching in SD, personally if I have a choice between HD or SD I would pick HD, or better still UHD. 

Sky Sports in UHD would be good, maybe one day it will be on Virgin.