cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC1 HD on 101 still SD for news?

Eddie98
Up to speed

BBC1 HD moved from 108 to 101 on my channel guide today. Just watching the national and local lunchtime news (Yorkshire) and the picture quality seemed like SD to me. It reverted to HD after the local news finished.

Anyone else noticed it? Or do I need a visit to the opticians?

28 REPLIES 28

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just for information Look North (North East & Cumbria) is SD upscaled. Different segments/outside broadcasts vary between normal SD and upscaled SD so I think the variations are also due to the equipment they are filming with.

No issues with the other programs, just local news as already indicated in previous posts. I don't mind the current upscaling in the regional news, it's better than having to keep switching channels 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I do agree that not having to change channels is a major step foward,

Has anyone noticed on BBC 1 West Midlands that on Breakfast 5 mins before they switch to the regional news the quality of the Breakfast broadcast drops from HD to SD. This also happens on the 6 and 10 news.

It does this with BBC NE as well.

JohnD
Strangely strange yet oddly normal.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Spatuxedo @Doudar 

This is something you will have to put up with until all the BBC studios, linking equipment & content is upgraded to HD.

Virgin Media is to date the only broadcast TV platform where you do not need to switch to BBC1 SD to get your local news broadcasts. But this does not mean all the content is ACTUALLY HD. It is HD where/when available, & until the BBC completes these upgrades, which are budget dependent, you will have a "mash" of the two definitions.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This SD for regional news is expected to be the case for many for several more months yet.  Once HD it will stay HD but until then it will drop back to SD for the local bits.

It is the BBC doing this and VM giving you exactly what they get.

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Below is a rough sketch diagram of the current distribution arrangement. If any link of the "Local" loop remains SD, then what you see on Virgin will be in SD.

Arqiva distribution.jpg

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Spatuxedo and @Doudar thanks for posting and welcome back to our community.

I thank nodrogd and ozsat for their support.  I cannot add anything to what they've advised you.  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R

Am in West Midlands but haven't noticed that last 5 minutes of National news at 6 or 10pm goes to SD. This could be that I am not paying proper attention so will look out for this. I have noticed on the WM Regional news that the studio shots are definitely SD but some outside broadcasts are HD.