cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC1 HD on 101 still SD for news?

Eddie98
Up to speed

BBC1 HD moved from 108 to 101 on my channel guide today. Just watching the national and local lunchtime news (Yorkshire) and the picture quality seemed like SD to me. It reverted to HD after the local news finished.

Anyone else noticed it? Or do I need a visit to the opticians?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Apparently it's upscaled SD by the BBC - see this user's post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/What-was-todays-message/m-p/4922063#M25651
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

28 REPLIES 28

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Apparently it's upscaled SD by the BBC - see this user's post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/What-was-todays-message/m-p/4922063#M25651

May be a daft question but is anything else filling the 108 slot now that BBC1 has moved to 101 ?

ozsat
Superstar

Even though the service is now HD - some local news studios are still not equipped for HD.

@Eddie98 wrote:

BBC1 HD moved from 108 to 101 on my channel guide today. Just watching the national and local lunchtime news (Yorkshire) and the picture quality seemed like SD to me. It reverted to HD after the local news finished.

Anyone else noticed it? Or do I need a visit to the opticians?

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

@deans6571 wrote:

May be a daft question but is anything else filling the 108 slot now that BBC1 has moved to 101 ?

I really want it to be Sky Atlantic.  I know it wont be, but doesn't stop me dreaming.

BBC3 is launching on 1st February - so there is some more minor changes to take place.  In England you see BBC4 on 108 and BBC3 on 107 next week.

@deans6571 wrote:

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@deans6571 wrote:

Yes - BBC Four HD in England & NI next week.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/BBC-One-HD-and-BBC-Four-HD-are-moving-channels-BBC...

That's why the BBC Four series links needed updating yesterday.

I don't really get why folks just don't use the all channels series links? I often thought it would be a better idea to have these set as default or prompt the user when they set one up from the channel guide as to whether they want that channel only or an all channels series link.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Services: Ultimate Volt 1Gb
Equipment: 3 x V6, Hub 5

roy247
Community elder

@G4DDS wrote:

I don't really get why folks just don't use the all channels series links? I often thought it would be a better idea to have these set as default or prompt the user when they set one up from the channel guide as to whether they want that channel only or an all channels series link.

That option doesn't exist on the 360.

Rufus57
Up to speed

Watching Midlands Today the PQ was marginally better so clearly upscaled SD.