cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Regional News HD from 21 October

Rufus57
Up to speed

BBC Regional News finally going HD from 21 October. No need at last to change to channel 101.

30 REPLIES 30

Local papers said we would get Midlands Today in HD and no more red screen!  Why is taking the BBC so long when ITV Central has been HD for many years?

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Spatuxedo wrote:

Yes but in October even the newspapers said it would change!

Newspapers print a lot of "news" that's not true.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Spatuxedo wrote:

Local papers said we would get Midlands Today in HD and no more red screen!  Why is taking the BBC so long when ITV Central has been HD for many years?

It costs money to upgrade to HD locally which the BBC haven't been able to justify over the years due to funding and political pressures which ITV don't have.

They're now doing it as part of the wider local BBC strategy - http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/reports/reports/the-bbc-across-the-uk.pdf

EDIT: Worth pointing out that ITV also had regional limitations on their ITV HD service for years and had bigger news regions on HD than SD, they didn't go fully regional on HD until quite recently. Again not something the BBC would have been allowed to do in the same way.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

BBC One London is still in SD, but not a deal breaker for me.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

JLO1
On our wavelength
Hello,

Just had a look at Channel 108 BBC1HD programme guide for Mon 24th Jan, and at 1830 it says we get BBC London in HD. I'm in Nottingham, so it should be East Midlands Today eventually.

Maybe we'll all get BBC London regional news in HD until the the local service becomes available in HD.

Cheers.

Its the fact that you have to keep flicking between 101 and 108 when the local news comes on, in Wales you don't have to do this.

We have had ITV Central in HD for a long time and recently they switched to 103.

Really HD should be made the standard with 4K as the exception.

All-HD channels will come one day. I'm old enough to remember when only BBC1, BBC2 and ITV were available in SD.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I am in Birmingham and the EPG now shows BBC London news on both 101 and 108 from 24/01. I had better hope there is no news in the West Midlands from 24/01 then.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Rufus57 wrote:

I am in Birmingham and the EPG now shows BBC London news on both 101 and 108 from 24/01. I had better hope there is no news in the West Midlands from 24/01 then.

It's perfectly normal for the BBC regional slots to be completely populated for "week plus one", but "week plus two" to have a holding entry until the weekend before.

That's been the case with VM's EPG data for as long as I can remember, and given these changes - I wouldn't worry unless the entries are wrong with only a few days to go.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks