cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBC Iplayer, ITVX and all Terrestrial Apps not working

Nyallj1
Joining in

My Apps didn't work Netflix Prime etc and complained and Virgin say Platform fault. Then they say they have "fixed it" so they say but BBC ITV CHannel 4 still dont work and I cant record so its a pain. I get a black screen and have to reset. Customer service on loop say no fault and cant help and can't escalate it and so there is no where else to go. This is a clear fault with my software in the 360 box. Have reset , have changed connection to wifi (as suggested by Customer service!)  and frankly will be leaving Virgin asap. Service a joke but do get the global customer service experience from South Africa and India all of which have outdated installation instructions. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Does the box currently have a connection (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) to the router?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do OnDemand programmes work?

Programmes accessed directly from the menu and not via an app.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

As stated Netflix works but not the terrestrial Apps BBC, ITV etc which prevents recording. This is why it probably is a software issue

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I took "My Apps didn't work Netflix Prime etc" to mean that Netflix & Prime don't work. Are you now saying they do?

Streaming apps are completely different to recording programmes, there's no reason a problem with one should cause issues with the other.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

BBC Iplayer and itvx are streaming Apps actually. They are also used to record and play catchup by Virgin in the UK. Do you have any ideas to assist?

Itvx and BBC iPlayer are apps but have nothing to do with recording on Virgin TV boxes.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Nyallj1 wrote:

BBC Iplayer and itvx are streaming Apps actually.

Can you point me to where in this thread I said the opposite?

@Nyallj1 wrote:

They are also used to record and play catchup by Virgin in the UK

You don't record Catchup. Recording means taking a copy of the linear broadcast stream and creating a readable version on the HDD. CatchUp is a marketing term for one of VM's IP-based OnDemand services. The two technologies are different.

There's plenty of good help on this forum, if you're prepared to give clear answers to other people who spend their spare time using their expertise to help others who need it.

What I think is potentially emerging from your replies so far, is that your TV360 may not have a working internet connection - or at the very least, that's not proven. You've mentioned changing your connection type from Ethernet to WiFi on the advice of (I presume) telephone agents, if that's made no difference then reverting to Ethernet is the first thing.

I asked above, whether or not OnDemand services work - these also the internet but are not an app. You've not answered that.

roy247
Community elder

@Nyallj1 wrote:

BBC Iplayer and itvx are streaming Apps actually. They are also used to record and play catchup by Virgin in the UK. Do you have any ideas to assist?

Not used for recording but they are used for catch up from the TV guide. You can disconnect the ethernet cable and the box will still record the channels mentioned. If you do lose your internet connection you will see a red light on the front of the 360 and all the catch up symbols on the TV guide will disappear and when you press the Home button you will get error CS9996 but you can still set recordings.

If Netflix is working and iPlayer isn't then that would suggest it's app specific the fact that you say ITVX also isn't working is odd there has been a problem with iPlayer but I am not aware of a problem with ITVX.

If you are still having problems was the reset you were asked to do just a switch the power to the box off and on or a factory reset. I would try a factory reset if you haven't already.

It's only a partial system reset and not a complete factory reset. You are given 2 options,

Keep Recordings
Format Disk

Choosing Keep Recordings, means you won't lose your recordings and any planned recordings or series links you've set up, but you will have to sign into your apps such as iPlayer, Prime, Netflix and ITVX again, also Match frame rate and Standby power consumption will go back to their default settings if you have changed them.

This message has completely lost its way discussing on line demand services etc when it is clear that there is internet connectivity as otherwise Netflix wouldn’t work. However your instructions to do a factory reset has worked so thank you for that suggestion. Why customer services can’t suggest this is a real problem.  

SpacePhoenix
Fibre optic

Does the box currently have a connection (Ethernet or Wi-Fi) to the router?