cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Sync problem with new 360 box

MrUnhappy2
On our wavelength

I have had the new V6 /360 box for 10 days and have problems with the audio synchronisation.

My TV is a 4 year old 50" Sony Bravia with Sony sound bar. When I had the Tivo and the model before it I never had any problems.

The audio is okay with the soundbar off but when using the soundbar the audio drifts after about 5 mins. I have tried Dolby On/Off settings , audio delay set to 20m/sec and follow audio On/Off. All work for 5 mins then drift. 

I have telephoned Virgin on 2 occasions the 2nd time getting through to their 2nd tier support. Went through all the power down re-boot etc  but still the same issues.

Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions?

Thnks

365 REPLIES 365

It gets worse

I had hoped my new nano cell LG TV would improve things but Oh no, its worse. Now I have lag even when using the TV speakers and not my Sony Sound bar. Better still every few minutes I am getting a message banner saying my Virgin remote will now control my TV. After a few hours playing with settings I googled it only to be taken to another Virgin thread just like this one and found plenty others with that problem.

Proving yet again that the open source software for the 360 is unfit for purpose.

Television is supposed to be entertainment not stress. This upgrade should come with a health warning.

OK, I'm replying to my own post here as an update.

In short things are now much better for me, so I'll list things things I've done and equally importantly the things I haven't as this (to some extent is a moving target).

Last week I was committed to either taking back my new TV (48" LG OLED) or trying to pull out of the Virgin contract or both.

I have been away the last week, and whilst away picked up 2 8k HDMI leads (one from John Lewis and one from Amazon - don't ask why, it's not worth it).

To cut long story short, things are much better.  It could be the leads.  It could also be the fact that Virgin media is now reporting a 'good' signal rather than 'fair' signal (on the diagnostics) and I have not done anything, or requested anything.  FYI, I have not raise this issue with Virgin customer services, as I wanted to explore all issues before I spoke to them.

I don't have the time at present to trouble shoot this issue, but without a doubt, it is much much better today than last week (by a factor of 10).  As I say, it could be the cables, or it could be the improvements at VM end.  I'm not sure, but either way, it's better.

K

Thanks very much for this update. I personally can't see how the new HDMI leads might help with this particular issue, but I could be wrong as something has clearly improved for you!

I have a quick question for those people more familiar with the TV 360 software than I am: is it possible that VM recently released a new software update for the 360 that addresses this audio sync issue? Does anyone know if there's a version release history available online anywhere so we can see what updates they've released?

Thanks,

Ian

Tommo881
On our wavelength

I've posted here before about the sync problem but after reading Makeitsimple's update thought I should update too.

I recently got an LG C1 oled TV along with 8K HDMI leads and noticed a marked improvement. I thought it might just be because the TV supports eARC HDMI but perhaps it's the eARC along with the higher spec leads that is helping.

If anyone from Virgin is reading this though it still isn't perfect compared to watching channels through the aerial. And Channel 4 seems worse than others for some reason. And the sync still can wander at times on any channel as I'm watching. But as I said it's nowhere near as bad as it was before I got the new kit.

I should also note that I don't know what the quality of the sync was like pre-upgrade as I came straight into the new 360 world so can't compare it to that.

I think you were just lucky Tommo. I got a new LG nano cell TV and 2 expensive HDMI 2.1 cables but things were much worse. Now I have sync issues even when using the TV speakers. I have had to change to an optical cable from TV to Sound bar, even then I still need to reboot one or the other from time to time when watching content from the 360. Interestingly all content from the TVs apps are perfect. Its clear to me Virgin are going to have to pay a grown up to design the software.

Snooping around the Ziggo forums it looks like this has been an issue for years with their STBs.  If they haven't fixed it in that time we will never see a fix.

I’m having the same issues 360 wishing I hadn’t bothered tbh some times it’s way out of sync I’ve adjusted the settings on the TiVo box by up to 20 ms it’s ok then switch channels it’s out again.

Spoiler

Anyone else had a direct message from this forum asking for account information and details on your equipment and when the issue started

Yep, I’ve responded - hopefully taking it seriously now

KevWW
On our wavelength

Not received a private message yet ...

Sounds promising that Virgin Media might be taking this seriously at last.

I emailed the CEO a few weeks ago, and never had a reply. Our collective efforts appear to be working best.