cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Sync problem with new 360 box

MrUnhappy2
On our wavelength

I have had the new V6 /360 box for 10 days and have problems with the audio synchronisation.

My TV is a 4 year old 50" Sony Bravia with Sony sound bar. When I had the Tivo and the model before it I never had any problems.

The audio is okay with the soundbar off but when using the soundbar the audio drifts after about 5 mins. I have tried Dolby On/Off settings , audio delay set to 20m/sec and follow audio On/Off. All work for 5 mins then drift. 

I have telephoned Virgin on 2 occasions the 2nd time getting through to their 2nd tier support. Went through all the power down re-boot etc  but still the same issues.

Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions?

Thnks

365 REPLIES 365

NeilG10
On our wavelength

Just had our new Virgin fibre installed, after many years with sky, signed up for Volt2 and very impressed with broadband speed.  However, I was shocked to find we now have lip sync issues, something never experienced with sky.  So disappointed, is there really no solution for this at all?

Only thing that works for me is to turn off Dolby Audio in the settings which means worse sound quality.
Virgin TV 360 + Virgin TV 360 Mini

Gig1 > Hub 4 in Modem Mode > Taotronics Mesh Wi-Fi

No there isn't a solution.

If I contact my phillips soundbar via HDMI arc I get audio sync issues, full stop, regardless of any settings. I adjust the audio offset via virgin or the soundbar itself but this works for a few seconds before drifting again.

Only solution is to connect soundbar via optical cable but then you lose the arc features and hdmi benefits. 

The problem started the second my box was 'upgraded' from V6 to 360.

Virgin are a joke. 

So how come the Sky Q box had no lip sync issues but the Virgin 360 does, is it a hardware or software problem? 

Software. The 'upgrade' to virgin 360 was an 'update' to the existing physical v6 unit.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As leicesterfan mentioned, it is software. The whole TV360 package was downloaded to Virgin Media’s V6 box, and then self-installed. I went from having ZERO lip sync issues, AND the ability to switch between each of the 6 tuners without it clearing the last hour or so of TV on each one, to loads of lip sync issues and zero ability to switch tuners, within an hour. In fact, just by playing two seconds of a recorded programme then going back to ‘Live TV’ clears the buffers. 
If I want to switch between different channels/programmes/tuners now, I have tk set them all to record, and keep entering the ‘Recorded’ menu and play each one for a bit etc. 

A RIGHT ROYAL PITA

THE ONLY reason I can think of for Virgin Media rolling out the pile of excrement that is TV360 is that they wanted to stop paying the TiVo licencing a.s.a.p. How any conscientious IT software development director signed off on the functional specs of TV360 as the TiVo replacement I really don’t know. Personally I would have moved company rather than have my name anywhere near the product.  I suppose we should be glad that it only freezes up once or twice a week, normally when exiting BBC iPlayer or Prime, it could have been a lot worse  

I’ll be off the Virgin Media platform just as soon as my contract finishes. Yes, it’s nice to have close to gigabit speeds, but at the end of the day, 99.9% of the time you will find all your connections throttled by the server you’re connecting to, or by any of the multiple hops once your outside of Virgin Media’s responsibility, so you’re paying for a lot of bandwidth that you can’t ever use. Unless you use the likes of BitTorrent or similar. 

One more thing that I have found out that nearly made me switch before my last Virgin Media renewal. I’m an avid sports fan, as is my Dad. He has Sky Q.  Whenever he sets the golf to record, or F1, or cricket etc  if the programme runs over then Sky tells its Q box to extend the recording, then it stops recording when the televising of the event has actually finished. With Virgin Media’s TV360 you have to guess how much extra time might be needed and set the initial recording up to extend by 1hr or 2hrs etc. BUT, make sure you do this when you set the recording up, as there’s no way of going in, that I have found, and editing a series recording, or one off recording, once it has been added  you have to cancel the whole thing then start again. And then there’s the case where Sky moves a sports programme to start a few hours earlier than scheduled, due to weather it whatever. My Dad’s Sky Q box automatically changes the TV Guide, and the scheduled recording to reflect this. This has never happened with Virgin Media. And then there’s all the 4K, and easy to find on demand content that is available through Sky, which it cleverly downloads to the box first, in a matter of 20-30 seconds or so, for you to watch, be it a whole series, or a single episode, or multiple movies, negating potential issues caused by any network hiccups during the viewing. 

As you can see, I could go on, and on, and on, but I’ll leave it there for now  

Good luck with your new package all the same. 

NeilG10
On our wavelength

This is not good news at all, I’ve only just signed up and had it all installed.  Unless virgin update the software and sort it, it looks like I’m going to be stuck with this lip sync issue for the next 18 months!

@NeilG10 wrote:

This is not good news at all, I’ve only just signed up and had it all installed.  Unless virgin update the software and sort it, it looks like I’m going to be stuck with this lip sync issue for the next 18 months!

If you're within the 14 days just cancel. Sky will be hounding you with half price deals so maybe cheaper too. They still send stuff to me every other day. Some good offers to be had for returning. 

I did consider the 14 day cooling off period but the main reason for moving from sky was our neighbours huge Ash tree which has started to interfere with our satellite reception. Looks like I’m with Virgin for the next 18 months but if we ever manage to get the tree taken down I’ll be giving my next subscription some serious thought. 

CJTCam
On our wavelength

Virgin have been aware of the fault for nearly 2-years, however, their complaints department deny the problem and blank any effort to acknowledge, address and resolve the fault. I have stated several times, both on this forum and in my complaint, that Virgin are advertising Dolby 5.1 compatibility for new customers (and denying complaints from existing customers) is in breach of the trades description act, but Virgin Media still remain silent. We know they moderate this forum but never intervene because they know the customer is right.

I posted a few weeks ago that I thought Virgin had introduced a fix in the Audio setup with a new 5.1 option that synchronises the sound. However, forum users were quick to point out that this is NOT in fact Dolby 5.1, it is simply basic stereo sound which I first got in the 1960's! I have now verified this and confirm the 5.1 Audio setting does not give Dolby 5.1 surround sound.

I am stuck with Virgin because they own my email address and changing it would cause me exceptional disruption and stress. It makes me so CROSS!