cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Sync problem with new 360 box

MrUnhappy2
On our wavelength

I have had the new V6 /360 box for 10 days and have problems with the audio synchronisation.

My TV is a 4 year old 50" Sony Bravia with Sony sound bar. When I had the Tivo and the model before it I never had any problems.

The audio is okay with the soundbar off but when using the soundbar the audio drifts after about 5 mins. I have tried Dolby On/Off settings , audio delay set to 20m/sec and follow audio On/Off. All work for 5 mins then drift. 

I have telephoned Virgin on 2 occasions the 2nd time getting through to their 2nd tier support. Went through all the power down re-boot etc  but still the same issues.

Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions?

Thnks

365 REPLIES 365

Hi James.

I haven't posted on this subject in a while, but a new 5.1 (surround sound) option appeared without notice on the 360 box Audio setup. Using this my soundbar audio is now synchronized. Virgin Media are the most frustrating and dishonest company: for over a year they denied the existence of a Dolby sound sync fault but they have now fixed a problem they claim never existed and left it to the customer to discover it on their own. That way, they do not offer customers an apology as that would require them to admit false advertising and conflict with the Trades Description Act.

I noticed this option and tried it. The result was my soundbar couldn't use it and actually output 2.0pcm. Are you definitely getting 5 1?

I couldn't get a consistent sync with the 5.1 option so stick to the PCM 2.0 for everything unfortunately.

Looking forward to being at the end of my contract.

Virgin TV 360 + Virgin TV 360 Mini

Gig1 > Hub 4 in Modem Mode > Taotronics Mesh Wi-Fi

Robert969
On our wavelength

Just looked and didn't realise these new options had appeared. The cheeky thing is it actually says using PCM settings may resolve audio sync issues so they obviously know it was on issue

Been having a play around with the sound options. 

I'm not sure that the statement "Netflix will always follow content" is true. When set to 2.0pcm I only get stereo out of netflix (as you'd expect)  setting to 5.1pcm I get access to dolby atmos and 5.1 from Netflix. My soundbar can't use 5.1pcm and outputs it at 2.0pcm. The interesting thing is that according to the sound option Netflix should always follow content, but it doesn't. It follows what setting you have enabled in sound settings. So me setting to 5.1pcm gives 2.0pcm from my soundbar on live TV but surround from Netflix. Where as 2.0pcm setting just gives stereo on both live tv and apps. The follow content option in the settings is still out of sync made slightly better by adding some extra picture processing in the tv settings and reducing the resolution of the 360 box to 1080i.

Surely this can be fixed in this day and age. I find that setting to follow content affects live tv/and recorded programmes the most. Is it something todo with how the box software decodes the incoming signal? If it worked fine on v6 software then either the v6 didn't implement dolby correctly or the 360 software is asking too much of the hardware? My contract is up for renewal in November I'd happily stay if the dolby content was sorted but I'm tempted to try sky Q or Glass at this point to see how that fares. 

Any updates at all? 

Just for the record, I'm still using the "follow content" audio setting as before, but my previous audio sync issues with my Sonos Beam soundbar disappeared months ago and never returned. I get Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1 audio sent to my soundbar when available and it all seems to work okay now (touch wood!). Not sure if VM fixed the underlying software issue with the "follow content" setting a while back or perhaps something changed in the Sonos software, but I personally don't need to use the new 5.1 PCM option now. Has anyone else had the same experience?

fwilson84
On our wavelength

Interesting. I have a Beam and haven’t tried the Follow Content for a while. Will give it a try when I’m home. Tried the PCM 5.1 the other day and even though the Sonos app said it was just PCM 2.0, something more was being output through the surround speakers. Nowhere near Dolby quality though.

Nah, doesn’t work properly for me on the Follow Content and the Beam. It seems to depend on the output.

Stereo PCM is fine

Dolby 5.1 isn’t perfect but it’s acceptable 

Dolby 2.0 is a disaster. Worse than ever, I’d say.

Why can’t they just properly sort it?

I was so excited when I read this update, setting aside a day to get busy with wires in the chimney.

Alas It didn't work, none of the options did, just as bad as it ever was and I have tried all possible combinations.

Gutted

At least I'm a year closer to being able to end the contract without being punished.

I'm still so confused why this isn't big news ? a £250.00 Sony sound bar redundant, gathering dust while Virgin continue to market 360 as the best thing since sliced whatever. A completely inadequate help line with operators deaf to our complaint. That's when you have gone through all the hoops again to satisfy their tick box, all the while knowing you will be getting nowhere.

When I win the lottery job 1 is to take Virgin to court for false advertising and abysmal customer service.

To think I used to recommend them to friends and family, I'm ashamed of myself for that.