cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Sync problem with new 360 box

MrUnhappy2
On our wavelength

I have had the new V6 /360 box for 10 days and have problems with the audio synchronisation.

My TV is a 4 year old 50" Sony Bravia with Sony sound bar. When I had the Tivo and the model before it I never had any problems.

The audio is okay with the soundbar off but when using the soundbar the audio drifts after about 5 mins. I have tried Dolby On/Off settings , audio delay set to 20m/sec and follow audio On/Off. All work for 5 mins then drift. 

I have telephoned Virgin on 2 occasions the 2nd time getting through to their 2nd tier support. Went through all the power down re-boot etc  but still the same issues.

Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions?

Thnks

365 REPLIES 365

Gabnum
On our wavelength

Was advised by virgin to turn off Dolby worked for about 10 minutes so still using optical cable. Is yours still working ok (no lipsync). 

I used HDMI ARC with Dolby Audio off for VM 360 box to get audio in sync. 

Chromecast Ultra works fine with Dolby etc 

Virgin TV 360 + Virgin TV 360 Mini

Gig1 > Hub 4 in Modem Mode > Taotronics Mesh Wi-Fi

devonman
On our wavelength

I never had this sound delay / lip sync problem with my TV speakers until I moved to 360. It’s interesting that the 360 menu offers a lip sync timing adjustment / delay feature, did they know there was an issue when the built it? I still have the problem from time to time when I change channels or return to live TV and have to turn the 360 box off and on again to get in sync. Just another 360 shortcoming.

Hello.

Just replying to my own message to confirm after a few tests I don't see any issues with unpredictable lipsync issues.

I'm normally very sensitive to that as my wife would vouch when I charge any multitude of options whenever we watch content from the Shield.

I have between 65ms and 70ms (I've not decided which)  of delay dialed into the Amp and tried both 50i video and movies.

I've also tried turning on the force Dolby option which I can see up samples from Dolby Digital to DD+ for that to work

So for now for me at least I'd say 360>Amp>TV is not impacted.

Going back to those people having issues. Are you getting the issue only via ARC from TV into sound bars?

Thanks everyone

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

So I am just about to upgrade my V6 box to 360, primarily as I've been told that this will enable me to get dolby arc output from Netflix and Amazon Prime. Currently my V6 box doesn't provide this output, but my LG TV does and I can get arc via both Netflix and Amazon Apps. So not sure if upgrading to 360 might be a backward step. I also do not have any sync problems, V6 box HDMI to LG TV, LG TV e-arc out to Sonos arc soundbar. I am quite worried now, after reading of all the picture and sound issues with 360 as to upgrade 🙂

All I can say is that I'm having a battle to change back to V6. For me and many others 360 has been a disaster, completely ruined our enjoyment. I would not do it if you can find another way !

Tommo881
On our wavelength

I don't want to cause a backlash with people still suffering, but as a person that has previously posted in this thread with the same awful sync problem it is now resolved for me.

Am purely posting for the benefit of other people using the same kit (Casbar from a couple of messages ago) in case it is just kit related (and the makers of that have resolved any problems they had with audio sync with their software updates - reading elsewhere it's common, especially with Sonos and indeed the LG C1).

My kit:

LG OLED 65 C1 TV
Sonos Arc soundbar (with x2 Sonos One's as rears)
HDMI 2.1 leads connect between the above via eARC on the TV (these 2.1 rather than standard leads could be important)

Thanks, that is good to know. I have an LG 48CX, so not a C1. But do have a Sonos arc. There has been several posts about picture quality as well with the 360, currently I have a good picture and my upgrade was purely so I could get dolby arc from the app on my V6 box.

I agree.

I don't understand how a signal can be in sync 369 hdmi into amp into TV. But out of sync, 360 hdmi into TV and then ARC into soundbar.*

One thought is that included on the metadata in the HDMI signal there might be lipsync data. Has anyone tried turning off hdmi CEC to disable that?  Try first on the 360 box, then TV, then soundbar.

*Actually I can understand and it might not be a popular opinion..

It suggests an issue with the TV picture and TV passthrough.  Mention of LG lots makes me think it's something going on with the LG. I have LG E6 and in that model I can say there is definite issues with the audio output via the ARC channel, as follows:

Before I got my Shield to send Amazon and Netflix etc from there initial amp and then TV I was using ARC for getting audio from the Amazon and Netflix apps on TV.  I had horrible lipsync issues, the TV audio processing introduced very audible lag too the audio that the small amount of advance/lead adjustment on the TV couldn't fix. And of course because the audio is the one delayed no delay setting on there amp would help.

It was the reason for me getting the Amazon fire, and then the Shield in the first place.

Turning off the lipsync adjustment in the TV and enabling TV picture processing to slow down the picture helped.

Kind regards

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------

2020 Tivo-scaling bug (nearly resolved)

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

Tommo881 - What was your fix?

had a quick look for a post before but couldn’t see it..

I have :

LG GX 65

LG GX Soundbar and rear speakers

Audio lag when using the Virgin box only.. have turned off Dolby etc. on 360 box which makes it better but still bad. 

havent used Virgin to watch films since we got it last May!

Cheers