cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Sync problem with new 360 box

MrUnhappy2
On our wavelength

I have had the new V6 /360 box for 10 days and have problems with the audio synchronisation.

My TV is a 4 year old 50" Sony Bravia with Sony sound bar. When I had the Tivo and the model before it I never had any problems.

The audio is okay with the soundbar off but when using the soundbar the audio drifts after about 5 mins. I have tried Dolby On/Off settings , audio delay set to 20m/sec and follow audio On/Off. All work for 5 mins then drift. 

I have telephoned Virgin on 2 occasions the 2nd time getting through to their 2nd tier support. Went through all the power down re-boot etc  but still the same issues.

Anyone else have this problem and any suggestions?

Thnks

365 REPLIES 365

hound1010
On our wavelength

Think I am in the same boat.  I had a Samsung Tivo and all was well..  I now have a TV 360 and the lip sync is very irritating.  At times okay, but generally about half a second out.  I think the sound is behind the video - suggesting some sort of processing/conversion/transmission delay? 

My setup follows the advice in the Virgin and Sony setup guides, and would be typical I assume:

• Virgin TV 360 to Sony Bravia TV (KDL-42W705B)
    • using the Virgin provided high-speed HDMI cable
    • from Virgin TV 360 to Sony Bravia TV HDMI (IN 3).
  • Sony Bravia TV to Sony Soundbar (HT-XT3)
    • using my own high-speed HDMI cable
    • from Sony Bravia TV HDMI (IN 2 / ARC) to Soundbar HDMI (ARC OUT / HDCP 2.2)

Have fiddled with the various audio settings on the TV Box (PCM, Dolby, Manual Sync Delay, etc.), the TV and the Soundbar but yet to find something that holds steady.

Interestingly when I watch an a/v sync video on YouTube it seems spot on.  Tempted to say that app sourced media is synced better (e.g. Netflix, maybe also catch up?).  But live TV and anything recorded thereupon is definitely pretty variable.  I did notice that when I use the TV speakers it seems to sync much better.

Not sure how to resolve this...difficult to assess and test when it's all subjective (by eye and ear) ... and the fact that you can't just use some sort of sync service / tools or task suitable media.

Grrr..

Hi hound1010.

I can confirm that you definitely have the same issue and the only way to fix is for Virgin to resolve with a software update.
My setup is very similar to yours (Sony TV, Sony soundbar using HDMI) and after spending several weeks adjusting multiple settings I have given up and turned off my soundbar.

VIRGIN MEDIA FORUM TEAM PLEASE CAN YOU PROVIDE US WITH AN UPDATE AS THIS IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE LEVEL OF SERVICE.

hound1010
On our wavelength

I haven't tried - and not an ideal configuration - but would it be right to assume that if you plug the soundbar directly into the 360 box then would we still have the same problem?  If we do then I guess that underlines the fact that it's nothing to do with the audio passing through the TV?

Interesting that the TV speakers seem to provide a better sync experience - but again I'm not all that sure that they do.  Maybe I just convinced myself.  Need to do more tests I suppose but as I say hard to quantify the lags...

Some people have reported better sync by using an optical cable directly from 360 to soundbar but even that didn't fix it for me.

It also meant I then couldn't use my soundbar for other devices connected to my TV or for TV apps so would be a completely impractical solution for me personally.

Yes using TV speakers may well resolve or improve the issue but that's clearly also an unacceptable solution when you've got a soundbar!

leicesterfan
On our wavelength

So is there actually any word at all on Virgin fixing this, or having even acknowledged that this a problem with their 360 box?

I literally haven't been able to use my soundbar since 'upgrading' (pah!) in May.

No not that I have read, it seems we have been ghosted

@hound1010 wrote:

Think I am in the same boat.  I had a Samsung Tivo and all was well..  I now have a TV 360 and the lip sync is very irritating.  At times okay, but generally about half a second out.  I think the sound is behind the video - suggesting some sort of processing/conversion/transmission delay? 

My setup follows the advice in the Virgin and Sony setup guides, and would be typical I assume:

• Virgin TV 360 to Sony Bravia TV (KDL-42W705B)
    • using the Virgin provided high-speed HDMI cable
    • from Virgin TV 360 to Sony Bravia TV HDMI (IN 3).
  • Sony Bravia TV to Sony Soundbar (HT-XT3)
    • using my own high-speed HDMI cable
    • from Sony Bravia TV HDMI (IN 2 / ARC) to Soundbar HDMI (ARC OUT / HDCP 2.2)

Have fiddled with the various audio settings on the TV Box (PCM, Dolby, Manual Sync Delay, etc.), the TV and the Soundbar but yet to find something that holds steady.

Interestingly when I watch an a/v sync video on YouTube it seems spot on.  Tempted to say that app sourced media is synced better (e.g. Netflix, maybe also catch up?).  But live TV and anything recorded thereupon is definitely pretty variable.  I did notice that when I use the TV speakers it seems to sync much better.

Not sure how to resolve this...difficult to assess and test when it's all subjective (by eye and ear) ... and the fact that you can't just use some sort of sync service / tools or task suitable media.

Grrr..

Hi hound1010,

I see from the Sony specs and manual your soundbar has 3 HDMI inputs, if they are not all in use I would try connecting the 360 to the HDMI 1 on your soundbar and set dolby to follow content on the 360.

Nothing to lose everything to gain if it fixes your lip sync problem.

Roy

Another with the same issue - I never had problems before 'upgrading' to TV 360 and I only get the issue when using 360 services (Netflix, Disney, Amazon services all fine). I have tried every sound setting I can find on both the TV and soundbar. (Optical Out from TV to Optical In on soundbar).

Hi Leicesterfan,

No, the Virgin Complaints Team completely refuse to acknowledge anything related to this widely recognized problem. I am currently accumulating evidence that Virgin are negligent in addressing my complaint and after eight weeks I will take the issue to independent arbitration through the ombudsman. I can not take it to them earlier because both parties have to agree "deadlock" and Virgin refuse to acknowledge the problem (only three weeks to go!).

So when was the last update on this from anyone within Virgin Media. Its ridiculous how silent they've gone about the issue