cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying message on screen

davet1
Tuning in

I keep getting the message "You can use the remote to control the volume and power off your XXX TV" popping up on the screen every couple of minutes. Most annoying. The XXX alternates between Sony and Samsung as I have a Samsung TV and  a Sony sound bar. Anyone know how I can get rid of it please? When I go into settings both TV and bar are paired with the remote and it does control the volume on the sound bar. If I turn the sound bar off (which I do not want to do) I still get the message. The sound bar is connected to the TV via a HDMI lead.

30 REPLIES 30

Thanks for getting back to me Roy.
Yes, I’ve tried that multiple times, I believe that the issue is that my TV and Soundbar are different brands, so that when I pair the remote to my Sony Soundbar, the hub then thinks it’s not paired with my Samsung tv and posts an on-screen message. Even if I don’t want to pair it with my tv. The issue works the other way around, if I pair to the Samsung tv.

roy247
Community elder

Different brands shouldn't make any difference, my main box is connected to a Samsung TV and Sony amp, the mini box to a Sony TV and Yamaha receiver.

Both are connected with HDMI cables, only use the optic cable for feeding the TV sound to the amps. 

If you get a fibre optic cable try using a different HDMI connector, I assume you are using the ARC HDMI connector at the moment.

Roy,

thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

My current set up is hdmi from the Sony Soundbar into the Samsung tv arc hdmi.  The virgin box is hdmi into the Samsung tv, the virgin box is not directly connected to the Soundbar.  Right now I don’t have a digital audio cable attached.

can you please confirm your configuration so that I can mirror.

cheers

roy247
Community elder

I have multiple inputs on my amps so I am able to connect 360 to amp and then out to the Tv's via HDMI, most of the soundbars only have one in and one out so if you have a blu-ray or games console then you generally use the HDMI arc to feed the sound from all your inputs to your soundbar using this, if you only have the 360 connect it straight to the soundbar then soundbar to a non arc HDMI connector on the TV.

Hi Guys,

quite a bit of activity today.

The way I solved the problem was to use a digital audio cable from the TV to the sound bar. Got rid of the message but had to use the sound bar remote for the volume.Not a big deal.

Then I had a problem with recording programs, apparently a fault with the disc in the box.Ah the wonders of new technology. So VM sent me a new box that I installed; recording problem solved. But then I discovered that with this new box (the other one was only a couple of months old, I have had 3 altogether) I can control the volume from the VM remote.I presume its new software but who knows.

Anyway I am now a lot happier.

Dave

Many thanks, I really appreciate your help.

What an annoying little problem !

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Apparently there's a new update due from 4.30 to 4.31 - possibly your new box is 4.31

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Dave,

digital audio cable fitted, everything now working fine.

thanks for your help

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @DanCUK,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for letting us know you've managed to resolve the issue following the advice on the thread.

Drop back if you have any further issues. 

Thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Annoying messages, synch issues and no surround sound;... this is 2022. This is a downgrade from Sky thieves TV.