cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying message on screen

davet1
Tuning in

I keep getting the message "You can use the remote to control the volume and power off your XXX TV" popping up on the screen every couple of minutes. Most annoying. The XXX alternates between Sony and Samsung as I have a Samsung TV and  a Sony sound bar. Anyone know how I can get rid of it please? When I go into settings both TV and bar are paired with the remote and it does control the volume on the sound bar. If I turn the sound bar off (which I do not want to do) I still get the message. The sound bar is connected to the TV via a HDMI lead.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

roy247
Community elder

Can you connect your 360 with HDMI to your soundbar and then HDMI to your TV.

I have my main 360 connected to my Sony amp then to my Samsung TV, and my mini connected to a Yamaha soundbar then to my Sony TV, both are connected this way, volume keys are paired to the Sony amp and the Yamaha soundbar, both setups power on and off with one press.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

davet1
Tuning in

I have now got rid of the message by replacing the HDMI lead with a digital audio connection at my own expense. However now I cannot control the sound bar volume using the Virgin remote. Has anyone managed to do this using a digital audio connection? My lead goes from the TV to the sound bar.

For info it seems that TV360 cannot handle a TV and a sound bar that are different manufacturers and the sound bar manufacturer also makes TVs., it thinks there are 2 TVs and hence the message. So I have got rid of an annoying message I did not have with my V6 box and lost the ability to control the volume from the Virgin remote or to turn the sound bar off with the TV as I did with the ARC link before.

Not sure that I can call this progress.

Hi davet1,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, glad to hear the pop up has now gone, this isn't something I am familiar with, in regards to the new issue unfortunately as it is with 3rd party equipment it isn't something we are trained or support, I would advise a with anything you aren't sure about to Google it, there is always someone else out there with the same issue.

Regards

Paul.

roy247
Community elder

Can you connect your 360 with HDMI to your soundbar and then HDMI to your TV.

I have my main 360 connected to my Sony amp then to my Samsung TV, and my mini connected to a Yamaha soundbar then to my Sony TV, both are connected this way, volume keys are paired to the Sony amp and the Yamaha soundbar, both setups power on and off with one press.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my sound bar has only one HDMI port so I cannot try this.

Hi Paul,

Are Virgin planning to start making TVs and sound bars? If not then it will always be 3rd party kit.

I had a V6 box and my Samsung tv and Sony sound bar worked fine with a HDMI lead. It also works fine with good old freeview. I get the TV360 software and it all goes wrong. I connect my Sony sound bar to my Sony tv and it works with a HDMI lead. So from that we can deduce that the software has a problem differentiating between a tv and a sound bar unless it has already found a tv from the same manufacturer.

I appreciate this is a major release (I spent 46 years in the IT industry) but let’s be open about where we are. I am getting suggestions of workarounds from the community but Virgin have not covered themselves with glory.

Dave

Another update on the sound bar saga. I had a different problem, namely recordings stuttered and froze when being played. Someone at VM downloaded some software and said if that didn't fix it to switch the box off and on again (the cure for all ills). So on Thursday morning I tried. The off bit went OK but the on bit failed, it appeared to be in a loop downloading the same bit of software over and over again but never getting the box to restart.

So they sent me a new box, the third since all this started in January. Arrived late yesterday and I installed it this morning. Recordings seem to be OK based on a limited  test.

The reason for this missive. I can now control the volume of my sound bar from the VM remote even though I am still using a digital audio cable. I wonder if VM know they have fixed this? Anyway let's be thankful for small victories.

Dave

roy247
Community elder

Hi davet1,

it's probably using IR, try covering the end of the remote with your hand to test.

Roy.

Hi Davet,

I’m a new Virgin customer since April 10, everything is fine apart from the really annoying pairing message that pops up on the top right of the screen. I have a Samsung TV and a Sony HP150 sound bar.  If I invest in a Digital audio cable and hook up the sound bar to the tv digital audio out, as opposed to using HDMI, do you reckon that annoying message will disappear ?

im ok using the Soundbar controller if that messages goes away.

im assuming this is a software issue that will get resolved at some point, but until that happens that message is driving me nuts.

thanks

roy247
Community elder

Have you tried pairing the remote to control the Volume it's in Settings, Audi and Video.