cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Hard Drive to Mini Box

Pushoz76
Joining in

Is it possible to add an external Hard Drive to a mini box?  We really don't like the fact we can't pause live tv for more than a couple of minutes.

6 REPLIES 6

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
No, it's not possible.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

roy247
Community elder

@Pushoz76 wrote:

Is it possible to add an external Hard Drive to a mini box?  We really don't like the fact we can't pause live tv for more than a couple of minutes.

If you want to pause longer you need to press record.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pushoz76 wrote:

The mini boxes are hard coded to record on 360 master boxes on Virgin Media UK & Eire platforms. On all other LG operations they store & retrieve recordings from allocated cloud storage.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sadly if I press record it says no hard drive detected.

You need the main 360 box set to fast start or active start, it will then record on the main box and you can stream from there.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Pushoz76 

Even though the Mini Box doesn't have a physical hard drive you can still pause live TV for up to 5 minutes on the 360 Mini Box.

You need your main box to be switched on so it can record from the Mini Box.

On your main box go to Settings > System > Standby power consumption. You have 3 choices.
Fast start  - the 360 starts quickly but is less energy efficient
Active start - more energy efficient than fast start but the box takes a little longer to start up
Eco start - the most energy efficient and probably the one you're using. It uses minimal power but takes a while to start.
The first two options are best if you have a mini box and want to watch a recording on it

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali