cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing BBC1 without Internet

Gingernut1949
On our wavelength

My Internet is being repaired on Monday evening. The only way I can watch BBC1 is through the 360 box but I'm getting error message CS9993 every few seconds on screen. 

I've had to press the down button so then the error message is gone but I have the information across the bottom.

It's only on the BBC channels. 

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s because BBC channels carry the Red Button prompt which requires internet access (when the ‘Press Red’ icon appears at the top right of the screen). If there’s no internet connection when switching to a BBC channel, you’ll receive an error code.

This only happens with Virgin and not with the likes of Sky or Freeview. 

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Gingernut1949, thanks for your post although I'm really sorry to hear of your service issues.

As @Anonymous has stated, this is going to be related to the fact you have problems with your connection at the moment.

Please accept my apologies once again about this, but fingers crossed we can get this fixed for you when the technician arrives.

Please let us know if you need any further help.

Many thanks

Tom_W

SkyQ does come up with 'no broadband connection' errors at times.

@Anonymous wrote:

It’s because BBC channels carry the Red Button prompt which requires internet access (when the ‘Press Red’ icon appears at the top right of the screen). If there’s no internet connection when switching to a BBC channel, you’ll receive an error code.

This only happens with Virgin and not with the likes of Sky or Freeview. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ozsat

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on now? Is the issue still ongoing?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I don't have an issue - I was pointing out that in the reply it was not correct to say this issue only occurs with VM and not with Sky.

@Travis_M wrote:

Hi @ozsat

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

How are you getting on now? Is the issue still ongoing?

Regards

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

The engineer 'fixed' the issue, but VM keeps dropping out all the time. My house is a 'smart' home with Alexa speakers throughout the house, Ring doorbell, and of course my laptop. Yesterday morning VM dropped out three times, losing the programme I was trying to listen to, and I missed a parcel.

It's beyond frustrating to have such a useless broadband system. I'm going to experiment with a home mesh wifi system arriving today.

If it is your Virgin hub that is causing your wifi drop outs, you would do best to put the hub into modem mode then use your new mesh system to provide your home network. That has worked for me, but it does require you to set everything up from scratch. Also make sure all your Virgin cable connections are firmly finger tight.

if it is your incoming broadband connection that is failing, only Virgin can fix that.

Hi Gingernut1949

Thank you for updating the thread. 

I am glad to hear the engineers have been able to fix the external issue but I am disappointed to hear you are still having some problems with dropouts through your home.

I would be happy to take a look from our side but before I do, have you been able to set up your new equipment? Has this helped at all?

Thanks 

Nat