cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K / UHD on BT Sport Ultimate

ClarkKent77
Tuning in

Today, I was watching City V Newcastle on BT Sport Ultimate. I noticed the picture wasn't that great. I clicked on info and it said "HD". I compared the image with BT Sport I HD, and it was the same. 

Last week, I also thought the image for the football on BT Sport Ultimate wasn't as sharp or crisp as it used to be. The games definitely used to be in UHD / 4K. 

So, has something changed? Any idea what has happened? 

26 REPLIES 26

I have, yes. Picture doesn’t look bad, but it’s not 4K / UHD / impressive quality. 

Is there another UHD channel you can compare with BT Sport Ultimate?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

UHD / 4K content looks decent on my Apple 4K box. Not stunning, but pretty good. 

Premier League football on BT Ultimate looked *great* at the start of the season. Really sharp and crisp and clear. Now it’s still good, but not as good as it was, as if Ultimate have stopped doing UHD or lowered the quality somehow. 

I've always noticed that some venues seem to end up with a poorer picture than others - maybe lighting and camera positions.

So one week can be bad and next time really good - same on Sky and BT's UHD.

But I've not noticed that overall it is now worse - but you do get use you it and sometimes no longer see the wow factor.

@ClarkKent77 wrote:

UHD / 4K content looks decent on my Apple 4K box. Not stunning, but pretty good. 

Premier League football on BT Ultimate looked *great* at the start of the season. Really sharp and crisp and clear. Now it’s still good, but not as good as it was, as if Ultimate have stopped doing UHD or lowered the quality somehow. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

I have become paranoid that my 'excessive' investment recently in a Samsung S95B QD-OLED TV has been a waste of money. What I have noticed is that the quality of the content (HDR especially) played from the TV's  'native' apps (Amazon, Apple, Disney. Netflix, BBC iplayer UHD etc) compared to watching it through the apps on the Virgin 360 box is far far better. Not an issue I just watch them through the TV now.

It isnt, which it could be, the HDMI cable either as I bought a new one that is 4k accredited.

But my perception is that there is no discernable difference in picture quality between BT UHD sports channel and its regular HD one. Saying that I watched, under duress may I add, the Chelsea Champions league match last night and the quality on BT 1 HD was very very good.

On my LG C2 TV the BT sport Ultimate is showing as 2160p (4K) and the sound is Atmos. However, there's never been HDR on that channel.

The Sky UHD sports channels are both 2160p, Atmos AND has HLG HDR.

The BT promotions mention that images are with HDR. But I assume that's only on the BT devices.

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

VM does not receive an HDR signal from BT.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection