cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K / UHD on BT Sport Ultimate

ClarkKent77
Tuning in

Today, I was watching City V Newcastle on BT Sport Ultimate. I noticed the picture wasn't that great. I clicked on info and it said "HD". I compared the image with BT Sport I HD, and it was the same. 

Last week, I also thought the image for the football on BT Sport Ultimate wasn't as sharp or crisp as it used to be. The games definitely used to be in UHD / 4K. 

So, has something changed? Any idea what has happened? 

26 REPLIES 26

And you video ouptut is still set to 2160?

@ClarkKent77 wrote:

Sorry, guys. I’m not explaining myself well! What I’m saying is this: 

I have BT Sport via Virgin Media. Previously, I was getting a really sharp, clear, impressive picture with BT Sport Ultimate, and a fine-but-not-great picture with BT Sport One. The difference between the two was noticeably different. 

In recent weekends, the picture quality (when watching Premier League football) has been the same on both channels. Both fine-but-not-great. 

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

I've just had a look. On my Virgin setings, in "Audio & Video) under "HDMI resolution", it was set to automatic. I've changed this to 4k, but I don't think that should make a difference. BT Ultimate should be playing in 4K, shouldn't it? 

Automatic is set to match the tv - not the channel.

If your tv is 4K then automatic should go to 4k/2160 - so shouldn't make any difference.

@ClarkKent77 wrote:

I've just had a look. On my Virgin setings, in "Audio & Video) under "HDMI resolution", it was set to automatic. I've changed this to 4k, but I don't think that should make a difference. BT Ultimate should be playing in 4K, shouldn't it? 

Sometimes the handshake between the box and TV doesn't work, so the box's setting might be only 1080p. In this case the BT Sport Ultimate resolution of 2160p will be downscaled by the box to 1080p and the TV will then upscale to 2160p - all of which will not help your resolution one bit. So, as ozsat has said, set it to 2160p and your TV will get 2160p with no conversions.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks, Roger. 

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I change the settings on my box? 

Don't have a 360 but this page should help.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/tv/change-tv-box-settings 

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ClarkKent77 

On the 360 it's Settings (the cog wheel) > Audio & Video > HDMI Resolution >  then 4K

(There are actually 5 choices shown :- Automatic, 4K, 1080p, 1080i, 720p and 576p)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Just put the United-Everton game on BT Sport Ultimate. The picture is decent, but I don't think it's 4K / UHD. I have a UHD TV, and the Virgin menu option is set to 4K. 

There should be an  i  button on your TV remote  -  pressing that will show what resolution the 360 box is sending to the TV.  TV should report 2160.

I just checked the recording of the 'Ultimate' programme for the game - and it looks 4K to me.

@ClarkKent77 wrote:

Just put the United-Everton game on BT Sport Ultimate. The picture is decent, but I don't think it's 4K / UHD. I have a UHD TV, and the Virgin menu option is set to 4K. 

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ClarkKent77,

Thank you for your post, I am sorry your picture is not clear.

Have you followed @ozsat's helpful advice?
Let us know, thanks.

Zoie