cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4.3 to full screen using virgin tv360

sheepskin148
Tuning in
  • Hi, can anyone tell me when watching gold and the program is in 4.3 I can't alter it to full screen  I've gone in settings and altered the setting to full mode or zoom mode but none of them alter the screen. Has anybody encountered this problem and no the solution?, am I doing something wrong or is just that the screen size can't be altered when you have virgin tv360 , can you help please
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @sheepskin148 

It's the way the program is broadcast in it's original format by the channel, in this instance Gold HD. You will find it's the same on Sky.

Gold HD seems to broadcast 16:9 full time, although 4:3 material is put into a 4:3 frame so the correct (original) ratio is broadcast.

Try using UK Gold+1 (194) the programs on there often, but not always,  play in full screen on that channel.

All HD channels are widescreen by default as they are true 16:9, hence the broadcaster has to add side panels to any 4:3 material. Conversely, SD channels are actually 4:3 ratio as standard, & widescreen material is broadcast in “letterbox” format.

You may be able to override the settings on your TV, however the picture will look distorted.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @sheepskin148 

It's the way the program is broadcast in it's original format by the channel, in this instance Gold HD. You will find it's the same on Sky.

Gold HD seems to broadcast 16:9 full time, although 4:3 material is put into a 4:3 frame so the correct (original) ratio is broadcast.

Try using UK Gold+1 (194) the programs on there often, but not always,  play in full screen on that channel.

All HD channels are widescreen by default as they are true 16:9, hence the broadcaster has to add side panels to any 4:3 material. Conversely, SD channels are actually 4:3 ratio as standard, & widescreen material is broadcast in “letterbox” format.

You may be able to override the settings on your TV, however the picture will look distorted.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

ozsat
Superstar

As said above - it is Gold broadcasting that way.

It is NOT a problem - they are broadcasting it how it should be and not distorting it.

@sheepskin148 wrote:
  • Hi, can anyone tell me when watching gold and the program is in 4.3 I can't alter it to full screen  I've gone in settings and altered the setting to full mode or zoom mode but none of them alter the screen. Has anybody encountered this problem and no the solution?, am I doing something wrong or is just that the screen size can't be altered when you have virgin tv360 , can you help please

==================================
1.2Gb/100Mb in Oxford (area 31) using SH5

@newapollo wrote:

Hi @sheepskin148 

Are you saying that 4:3 programmes are broadcast with burnt-in pillarboxes? This sounds horrible, why not broadcast in 4:3 with the relevant AFB and just let the STB take care of it.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

why not broadcast in 4:3 with the relevant AFB and just let the STB take care of it.

Hi @Roger_Gooner 

What is an AFB please? I've googled and can't find anything related to TV display aspects with that acronym

The search brings up Air Force Base, American Federation for the Blind, AFB smear tests etc.

Regarding the 4:3 aspect, it's the same with some of the programs on Yesterday  such as Auf Wiedersehen Pet, which where originally broadcast in 4:3, they are still broadcast on the TV in 4:3, and also shown using the same aspect ratio in the UKTV Play app.

I agree the viewer should have the option of watching the program in the aspect they prefer, even if it removes part of the picture or distorts it, but it's all down to the broadcasters. Not all set top boxes and TV's have the necessary switching modes to force alter the aspect.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

AFB (Active Format Description) is a set of 4-digit codes sent with a digital video stream or signal which enables TV broadcasters to optimally display 4:3 and 16:9 pictures on 4:3 and 16:9 TV sets.

As an aside I encountered the analogue version (widescreen signalling) some years ago when I sometimes had to correct the WSS in order to properly display anamorphic video images taken from DVDs onto my 16:9 TV.

--

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Thanks for the explanation @Roger_Gooner 👍

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

So that would be AFD, typo there Roger.

Yes, AFD indeed.

--

sheepskin148
Tuning in

It just seems funny that in the settings you have the option to alter 4.3 to full screen, pillar box or zoom but the function doesn't work. Either way I do appreciate all the answers and thank you all for the help