cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 software updates erase my recordings

Bill51
Tuning in

In July I "upgraded" my TV services to the 360 Mini Box. In doing so I lost all of my previous recordings, which was understood as part of the process. However, twice since then automatic software upgrades have erased all of my subsequent recordings which I find completely unacceptable. Is there a setting I can use to stop this or any way to revert to the way the same box previously operated (when recordings stayed in place for as long as I wanted)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Bill51 

You can fine tune recordings and recording space by going to Recordings > Recorded > View All >

There is a percentage indicator in the top left hand corner so you can see how much HDD space has been used.

Clicking on the top row and selecting Manage Storage > Enter your pin number > brings up a new screen where you can set your default options for deleting recordings

Ask to delete after watching which can be turned On or Off

Auto-delete when space needed can be switched to Off or On. This function will automatically delete the oldest content when disk space is required for a new recording. By default, it’ll be off for existing users but for new installs it’ll be on. (This may be why when the 360 gets to around 80% full some recordings fail, possibly depending on the length of the program, and older recordings are deleted)

You can also further fine tune recordings under Fast Clean-up options

If you have more than one main box select the box you wish to perform these actions on

From there you can :- Delete all fully watched programs.

Delete all recordings older than 6 months.

Delete all recordings.

Stop all future recordings.

Delete and stop all recordings.

You can also protect shows and ensure they aren’t auto deleted when auto delete is turned on:

Recordings > Recorded > View All

Highlight (select) the program by name and click on the edit “pencil” icon on the right side of the bin (delete) icon, then either turn on or off Protect from auto-delete for that program.

If space is required for a new recording, unprotected recordings will be deleted using this logic: Watched, oldest to newest recording. Unwatched, oldest to newest. Content that is being watched at the time will not be deleted. And if all content is protected, the recording will fail indicating this as a reason

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Bill51 thanks a lot for your post here in the Community, although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

This does sound a strange one, as there shouldn't be a reason why your hard drive is completely wiping all of your recordings at once, this isn't something that's particularly normal and I'm sure is frustrating for you.

Can you please try to follow: Settings - Recordings - Keep until I say.

This should enable your selected recordings to stop deleting themselves! Please let us know if this does keep happening and we can review again.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks Tom_W1.

Unfortunately my options under System>Recording Settings are limited to Extra Time Before; Extra Time After; Delete All & Cancel All Planned Recordings.

These are much fewer than previously before "upgrading" to the 360 box but that appears to be the case with many of the options on offer.

I see there is an option to Reset the box  without changing my settings (or so it claims)... but I am reluctant to try this in case my recordings are once more erased.

Any further advice/suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

Bill

roy247
Community elder

Hi Bill51,

I think you need to set the Auto delete option to off, select Manage storage when you go to your recordings.

To me it sounds more like a faulty box, you can factory reset the box and select the option to keep your recordings and it will keep your recordings, if it doesn't then it's another sign of a box that's on it's way out.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Bill51 

You can fine tune recordings and recording space by going to Recordings > Recorded > View All >

There is a percentage indicator in the top left hand corner so you can see how much HDD space has been used.

Clicking on the top row and selecting Manage Storage > Enter your pin number > brings up a new screen where you can set your default options for deleting recordings

Ask to delete after watching which can be turned On or Off

Auto-delete when space needed can be switched to Off or On. This function will automatically delete the oldest content when disk space is required for a new recording. By default, it’ll be off for existing users but for new installs it’ll be on. (This may be why when the 360 gets to around 80% full some recordings fail, possibly depending on the length of the program, and older recordings are deleted)

You can also further fine tune recordings under Fast Clean-up options

If you have more than one main box select the box you wish to perform these actions on

From there you can :- Delete all fully watched programs.

Delete all recordings older than 6 months.

Delete all recordings.

Stop all future recordings.

Delete and stop all recordings.

You can also protect shows and ensure they aren’t auto deleted when auto delete is turned on:

Recordings > Recorded > View All

Highlight (select) the program by name and click on the edit “pencil” icon on the right side of the bin (delete) icon, then either turn on or off Protect from auto-delete for that program.

If space is required for a new recording, unprotected recordings will be deleted using this logic: Watched, oldest to newest recording. Unwatched, oldest to newest. Content that is being watched at the time will not be deleted. And if all content is protected, the recording will fail indicating this as a reason

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks Roy247.

I will try a reset after watching what I have already recorded.

Having had everything deleted twice I have only used 1% of storage space so that should not take too long.

Many thanks newapollo.

Your tips have been most helpful in showing me what system tweaks are available. They did not appear particularly intuitive but that might just have been a failing on my part.

I have tried several of your suggestions and can now only wait to see what happens at the next automatic software update, after which I will let the forum know the outcome.