Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 remote does not fully control samsung tv

Nickopalidis
Tuning in

Hi,

I have just upgraded to 360. 

I have a Samsung Q90t TV.

The samsung remote no longer controls the virgin box. 

The 360 remote controls the tv sound, sound bar and the source select options on the tv but when I go into an app e.g. youtube, the 360 remote stops controlling the tv.

So I have to use both remotes, the 360 to control the virgin box and the samsung to control the samsung apps.

Has anyone else had and hopefully solved this issue?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

Rufus57
Up to speed

Think that's normal. I can access the native apps on my Sony TV using the 360 remote but I cannot navigate within them. I use another remote for that. I don't much bother with the apps supplied by Virgin as I prefer to use the TV's native apps but I am guessing it is the same. I am happy enough because after pairing the 360 remote it controls the main functions of my TV and soundbar.

Sounds exactly the same issue then. I'm just too **bleep** to not search high and low to try and find a solution haha 

Can you use your TV remote to control the 360, you will need to select Ziggo not Virgin as the set top box and possibly Mediabox Next if any thing else is required.

The tv remote no longer controls the 360. It used to work fine with the v6 box.  The tv automatically installs a kind of virgin app when you connect it and theat doesn't work either now. Just doesn't seem to be compatible with the 360 upgrade.

But not sure what you're referring to when you're suggesting ziggo or mediabox sorry? 

I don't think this is an 'issue'.

I too have a Samsung TV - the 360 remote isn't designed to control the TV past the volume, turning the TV on/off and other basic things (like switching sources).

When using the TV's 'smart' features then it stands to reason that you would need to use the Samsung Smart remote in order to navigate said features. 

Hi,

I like to check before just giving up.  The samsung remote used to control everything, including the virgin box before we upgraded to 360

So it's just to see if anyone knows of any work around or fix either for the samsung remote/app no longer working with 360 or if it is correct that the 360 remote only does what it's currently doing in controlling the volume, power and source selection for the tv and not the TV apps when opened

...you have to remember that the 360 remote is not a 'Smart' remote (unlike the Samsung Smart remote which CAN control other devices) so it will never be able to control the TV's apps.

There may be a way to get the Smart remote to control the 360 though - I too could control my V6 with the Smart remote when it had the original TiVo software on it but since updating to 360, it doesn't but I'm quite happy using the 360 remote as I rather like it!

@Nickopalidis wrote:

Hi,

I like to check before just giving up.  The samsung remote used to control everything, including the virgin box before we upgraded to 360

So it's just to see if anyone knows of any work around or fix either for the samsung remote/app no longer working with 360 or if it is correct that the 360 remote only does what it's currently doing in controlling the volume, power and source selection for the tv and not the TV apps when opened

Setting your Samsung remote manually to PaceDCR7111 used to control the 360 box, but according to this Thread it may now have stopped working, but the most recent post on this Samsung Thread say's it still works. The Virgin 360 box is also a Ziggo Mediabox Next in the Netherlands and that is how my LG smart remote is set, (might have just needed Ziggo), and controls the 360, so check to see if your Samsung recognises Ziggo. 

These instructions on how to set the remote manually came from the Samsung Thread 

You need to:
1) select satellite box > tv directly
2) enter your postcode
3) select virgin
4) select hdmi that your virgin box is connected to
5) hit channel up and select no for 3 or 5 times. After that it will offer you to search for model of your box manually.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

HI @Nickopalidis 

The code Pace  DCR7111 used to work with Samsung TV's, and still does for a few people, but stopped working for others in January when Samsung updated their TV's. Try it and see, you've nothing to lose, just a few minutes of your time. If it fails contact Samsung support and see if they can provide you with a code.

EDIT - crossed with roy's great advice.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali