cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 box operation

8abcbp
Tuning in

Having had the  new 360 upgrade for a couple of weeks now, I now wish I hadn't upgraded. Whilst it appears to function as it is supposed to, I assumed I would be getting all the TIVO features and more, but it doesnt seem to be the case and for us 360 is a step backwards, at the moment

This is because the 2 features we as a family use most do not work as well as a TIVO box. These are 1/ rewind of TV. The 360 only appears to be able to rewind 2 minutes. No use if we have been distracted for 10 minutes! Can anyone tell me if an indefinate rewind is avauilable on 360 and how to access it?

And 2/ pausing of TV. An indefinate pause does not seem to happen on 360. Again does anyone know if this is available?

thanks in advance

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You've not mentioned whether you have a combination of 360 masters or minis. It matters, because - on the 360 platform, only a master box has a hard drive, all the additional mini-boxes are slaves to the master and don't have HDDs of their own.

If you're pausing live TV on the mini-box, then you are limited to only 4 or so minutes of pause. There's two workaround - you can either watch the programme on the master box with a longer pause, or - better still - set the programme to record which will take effect on the master box. Then watch the recording on the mini which uses multi-room streaming.

Unfortunately, with any new tech or software, you should never assume. If particular features are important to you, make sure of things before making a choice.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

roy247
Community elder

Sounds like you are talking about 360 mini box problems, did you upgrade from Tivo or Tivo V6, just wondering why you have a 360 mini box.

Anyway as the 360 mini doesn't have a hard drive it relies on the main box for recordings and extended pause, the mini only has the ability to record up to 5 minutes depending on the source it's recording, HD programmes less time than SD programmes.

If you want to pause for longer on a mini you need to press record so it records on the main box, also you need to have both boxes set to fast start or active start so the mini can wake up the main box if it's  in standby.

Pausing and rewind on the main 360 box shouldn't be any different to a V6 box if that's what you had.

we do have a mini 360 box but is little used, so the problems I am having are with the main box.Pausing and rewind  definitly do not work the same as my Tivo did, and I can't seem to find a solution.

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I see it, pause works the same on a main box TV 360 as on V6.

There is, however, no rewind, as, unlike V6, there is no channel buffering.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

roy247
Community elder

Lets say you have been watching cricket for 30 minutes you should be able to rewind back to where you started watching on the main box. You should be able to rewind up to an hour on the main box and up to 5 minutes on the mini depending on the resolution of the programme.

I assume you can record programmes ok if not you may have a faulty hard drive.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@8abcbp wrote:

we do have a mini 360 box but is little used, so the problems I am having are with the main box.Pausing and rewind  definitly do not work the same as my Tivo did, and I can't seem to find a solution.

So taking the mini completely out of the equation, you're watching a live programme on the main box and press pause - what happens?

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I apologise for the misinformation above.

As per @roy247 , you can rewind on the live channel, back to when you have started watching. I’ve just rewound almost three hours.

I will check later if this applies or not to the two live channels you can flip between using the TV button.

Update - no. Swapping channels deletes the buffer.