cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 box , LG , Sonos and HDMI ARC sound

gkinghrn
On our wavelength

So I got this 360 box the other day. Engineer set it all up ..it fired into life and everything perfect sound coming through HDMI Arc to the Sonos speaker … so it’s Virgin box hdmi to LG Tv , LG tv to Sonos via HDMI Arc.  Standard setup …

i had Sky before but also plugged in to the TV is Apple TV , 4K OSMC streaming box ..all pushing their sound out via LG HDMI arc.

install the Virgin box and all of a sudden and intermittently it flips from HDMI Arc out for speakers to Internal TV speakers … I then have to fire up another device to play something and it re-enables the hdmi arc for Virgin.

i have removed the Virgin box from the mix and it always stays solid on HDMI Arc out regardless of what’s streaming. 

plug the Virgin back in and within an hour it’s flipped the tv back to Internal speakers .. what on earth is this 360 box sending down its audio channels to force the tv not to use hdmi arc out for sound..

fed up to be honest… 

14 REPLIES 14

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi gkinghrn,

Which software version is your 350 box? Settings > Info >About

For Sound issues go to Setting > Audio & Video - try setting Dolby Audio to always convert. A number of Forum members set Dolby to Follow Content.

If you are using a sound bar try connecting the 360 to a TV HDMI port without ARC.

Have you double checked the 360 Settings  under  Audio & Video > Pair remote with devices and Change audio setup?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

App version : 56_2021070

build version : 4.34

Dolby setting was set to Always convert initially and I had issues. I set it to follow content ans still same issue.

i have re-paired it to my Sonos Beam ..

i shall wait and listen now …

thanks for your suggestions ..

With Dolby Audio set to to Follow Content and the TV and Sonos connected by HDMI ARC, connect only the 360 and the Apple TV to the LG, then disconnect the Apple TV and connect the OSMC. What happens in both cases?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for this.

Doing that is fine - all the boxes stay on the Sonos. Nothing switches the TV to Internal Speakers as a result of plugging/unplugging other devices. you can plug and play all night and it’s fine Until the 360 box decides to send a signal to the tv to change its input. This is 100% a 360 problem .. sky box was fine before Virgin was installed. Problem only manifests itself when the 360 is on. 

If I leave the 360 box on (even if I am not watching it’s input to the TV ) it will after an hour or so switch whatever I am watching to Internal speakers . 

if I leave the 360 box off all night and watch via my other devices it stays rock solid on Sonos. 

the 360 box is somehow telling the LG to switch to internal speakers regardless of what input is being displayed.

speaking to Virgin Support they just say not their problem …. Helpful not…. 

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

What happens if you use a different cable to connect the 360 to the LG?

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Was the first thing I tried …. No difference …. Used the Virgin ‘official’ cable …ie the one in the box .. so it’s not that..

sitting here watching tv it just flipped to internal speakers within 20 minutes of starting… 😞

Not offering this as a long term or even a satisfactory solution but try turning hdmi control off on your TV to see if that is a temporary fix.

gkinghrn
On our wavelength

Been there done that. All the obvious stuff already tried. ...

gkinghrn
On our wavelength

So just to update this.

i reset my tv and Sonos box. 

left the 360 box OFF and not connected. For 2 days everything played fine …. Hdmi arc on Sonos worked flawlessly. 

Plugged in the 360 ..all fine …. An hour later .. bam..it flips tv to internal speakers. Nothing working on hdmi arc for output. Use volume control on hdmi arc and I see a ‘no entry’ sign in screen - apparently telling me that the sounbar is offline to the tv. 

have to mess about turning the simplink cec link off …. Then flip to hdmi ..cec comes on automatically with this tv ..still zero volume though but I increase volume and get sound…

So I am sure this is a fault with the 360 box … it’s only been an issue since this was installed ..

can’t wait to make that call to Virgin to get the box replaced …. Going to be an absolute nightmare …