cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 V6 Box video quality

FGM
On our wavelength

Hello,

I only just finally made the jump from my old Virgin TiVo box to the new 360 software on a V6 box. Quite pleased with it so far after a bit of a learning curve. 

One sort of issue I have is with the picture quality. The issue is I feel the overall picture seems a bit washed out. I have readjusted the settings on my Samsung UHD television which helped somewhat, but I just can’t escape the feeling  blacks are not real black and picture seems a little less well-defined from when I had the TiVo box. Now, I’ve searched the forums and changed the output resolution (now on Automatic) and put the follow frame rate setting to On. I assume previously my television was doing the upscaling from the 1080p of the TiVo box. All this gets me a little closer to quality I’m looking for, but still not quite how I had easily achieved it with the TiVo box, even if I set the V6 to output 1080p and let the Samsung upscale from there (I assume). 
Even the mauve colour of the guide doesn’t have a nice contrast like it had (though this may be more the new design). 

I have worked in AV most of my life, and still do, which included calibrating panels and projectors, so I know what results I’m trying to achieve.

My question to those who might know, when you went from the old TiVo box to the V6 did you notice any difference in picture quality for better or worse? Or now with the new 360 software which has taken away the ability to choose pass-through on the HDMI output resolution from what I’ve read, has that made any difference to your picture quality? 

Many thanks in advance for any insights. 

38 REPLIES 38

Hi 7896526-01,

Thank you for coming back to us, I have had a look at things our end, and the box is still showing as unreachable, please can you unplug both the Router and box from the power for 2 minutes then plug back in?

Regards

Paul.

FGM
On our wavelength

Ok done. Power cycled both.   Box is on. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @FGM,

Thank you for coming back to us. The system is still showing your TV box as 'unreachable' on our end.

Can you tell us if you see any error codes or messages when you turn your TV on?

What light is showing on the front of the TV box when it's on?

Are your other services working okay at the moment?

Please let us know so we can investigate this further for you.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

FGM
On our wavelength

It’s on now might not have been when you checked. Can you give me a time when you’ll be checking so I can make sure it’s on rather than all these messages back and forth? It does turn itself off after a certain amount of time as you know, so if even I leave it on it might not be when you check. 
There’s no error messages, when the box is on the front light is white, red when off. 
Again, it’s the quality of the picture- there’s no artifacting or pixelation- just looks like poor quality  like too much compression. The old TiVo box looked better. 
Uncertain what you can do to improve things, still not sure if worth keeping. My cooling off period is about over so if quality cannot be improved then I may be looking at Sky. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @FGM,

Is your 360 plugged in at the moment, it is showing as unreachable at the moment.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

FGM
On our wavelength

It’s plugged in but I just turned it on 

Thank you for your response @FGM.

Unfortunately, we are still unable to see your TV box on our side as it shows as unreachable. Are you rebooting your device as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-restart-or-reset-your-box#tab2.  In regards to your TV picture quality, do you get this on all channels? Also, does this occur on live TV as well as on-demand? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Mine is apparently never reachable. By either customer services or the status checker app and its switched on 24/7

FGM
On our wavelength

Well, it’s getting a bit ridiculous now. Why can’t you reach it? Sounds like someone else has the same issue with not being able to connect to their box (see a response here) 

it occurs on all channels, obviously SD doesn’t look as good anyway, but HD not ideal. 

Yes, rebooted as outlined. I work in AV professionally and familiar with recycling power and rebooting devices and making sure connection are properly secured. 

I assume you connect to my box via broadband?

It might be the quality of the box in scaling and decoding is not that good. 

I honestly think that the hardware is not up to the job the software demands.  Substandard picture and Soundbar/Dolby issues scream to me that the box just cant handle what's being asked.  Maybe the V6 software was lighter and had some more headroom for post processing and the 360 software is just maxing out the box's spec.