cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 Box's. Connected to wrong network error messages

MichaelSimpson
Tuning in

Both box's keeps saying you're connected to the wrong network all the time. Also service suspended message. Connected via ethernet from router (Netgear) as super hub 3 is in modem mode. And does exactly the same with WiFi connection. The audio stays while the visual goes blank. Then network wizard gets you to confirm WiFi and everything thing works perfect and then intermittently breaks again. This is happening many time a day on both boxes.

Could this be a non super hub router issue?

31 REPLIES 31

Sound like your setup is very similar to mine! I am similarly using the non-Virgin internet connection (the provider is AAISP) as the primary connection for most things. I'm using an L2TP tunnel (also from AAISP) over the top of the Virgin internet connection as my backup (allowing the primary & backup connections to use the same IP address block). But also like you, I found that the Virgin TV box needs to have its traffic directed over the Virgin internet connection (and it needs to be using Virgin's DNS servers) in order to function at all.

In case it makes a difference, the rule I used to block the IPv6 traffic is one which silently drops any matching packets (as opposed to responding with either TCP RSTs or ICMP administratively prohibited messages).

Good evening,

I have the same issue here, was wondering how can I create a IP 4 subnet only for the 360 as this is driving me crazy 

I can see you look very expert and I was wondering whether you’ll be able to help me fixing a similar issue with virgin media. I should have stayed with Sky as I never had any problems with it, but as the damage is done nothing I can do to get the 360 box working. 

Flattery will get you everywhere!!

I'm sure there are loads here that will bend double to help you, but you'll have to tell us more. As things are, if you do what VM say and plug it all in as in the nice pictures in the glossy brochure then it all works. Usually.

So you're doing something unusual. Want to give us more - indeed, all - the details of what you've got, what you're doing with it and what you want it to do?

hophead
On our wavelength

Thank you everyone on this thread - problem resolved

I run my hub5 in modem mode and also have an IPv6 feed (via HE). The 360 box tries to use IPv6 and thus I get the dreaded error message (perhaps because VM gets the IPv6 via and external network). The 360 box has no option to disable IPv6 and always tries IPv6 before falling back to IPv4 which VM does support (one day VM might support IPv6 ;-). The solution was to setup my firewall to silently drop all IPv6 TCP/UDP packets from the 360 box, the 360 box gets a fixed IPv6 address from my network based on its hardware address. I also found if I configured the 360 box to use my WiFi the box usually worked for a few minutes so I could use the 360 box's 'info' to read the IPv6 address. Again thank you.

hophead
On our wavelength

Further to my previous reply, IPv6 got my 360's into more problems by interfering with program guide updates and blocking them. This time the 360 preferred   to use the IPv6 DNS servers and even when they failed did not fallback to IPv4. I resolved this by putting the 360s on a separate VLAN with NO IPv6 traffic thus isolating them from my home network. When configuring the new VLAN's DHCP server I used Virginmedia's DNS servers, I also did not block private IP addresses from the Virginmedia link.

I do not use the 360 app on my smartphone, but suspect problems will occur if I try to use it.

I also discovered that I had to ensure that I did not have any fallback (to another internet provider IF Virginmedia link went down) configured on the 360 VLAN as the 360 got stuck on the fallback link long after the Virginmedia link restored. (Forcing the fallback internet link down caused the 360 to reestablish via Virginmedia. I had a permanent "wrong network" message stuck on the TV screen until I killed the alternate internet link.  

(Note: I use Hub5 in modem mode, a pfsense firewall, TP-Link IP switches, and HE for my IPv6 service)

Monitoring continues....

jcurtis
On our wavelength

I created firewall rules for any IPv6 from either Virgin box to simply be dropped.  This seemed to do the trick for me.  I too have a main internet link (FTTP) and just have the Virgin broadband as the V360 boxes need it.  I steer all IPv4 traffic from the V360 Mac addresses out the VM link.  They are the only devices that use Virgin DNS servers too.

I used to have them in a separate VLAN but moved them back as the App worked better that way.  There should just be an option in the boxes to disable V6.

The whole v360 experience has been very poor compared to the V6, sadly we were not given the option of keeping the V6 when haggling about the costs.  It was V360 or stay the same.  

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jcurtis wrote:

The whole v360 experience has been very poor compared to the V6, sadly we were not given the option of keeping the V6 when haggling about the costs.  It was V360 or stay the same.  

It's not the point under discussion this thread, but this merits a response.

Conversions to TV360 are entirely voluntary at this time, and no-one is being forced to move from TiVo/V6 > TV360. Some retentions agents may encourage you to migrate, but it remains voluntary and there's no reason you should have to convert unless you specifically want to or agree.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jcurtis
On our wavelength

@japitts wrote:

@jcurtis wrote:

It's not the point under discussion this thread, but this merits a response.

Conversions to TV360 are entirely voluntary at this time, and no-one is being forced to move from TiVo/V6 > TV360. Some retentions agents may encourage you to migrate, but it remains voluntary and there's no reason you should have to convert unless you specifically want to or agree.

I was given no choice, if you want a reduction in cost, you have to move to v360.  The recordings will be there for VM to listen to if they want.  3 Months on and we are still paying the old rate to boot.  Going round in circles being told it will be sorted on the next billing cycle.  Each time, no change.  

But I digress from the poor IPv6 implementation in the v360 boxes.

hophead
On our wavelength

Thank you jcurtis for your response. Blocking IPv6 from the 360 allowed me to connect from the 'correct network' and all seemed well for a while. However it did not stop the 360 obtaining an IPv6 address and DNS, which in turn stopped program listing update. This may  be because I use RADVD and not  DHCPv6D to distribute IPv6 addresses/DNS. Once I get the 360 stable I may be tempted to play with DHCP (educational purposes, of course)...