cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

360 Box - TCP/IP control

mr_pete
Dialled in

Hi all

I'm looking (with some abject horror, I have to say) at what appears to be an impending rollout of the 360 platform to existing TiVo V6 boxes - as I'm *not* looking forward to losing the TiVo functionality, as I've been a TiVo user since the V1 Thomson Scenium boxes hit the UK, and was really pleased when Virgin did the TiVo deal.

I operate a custom Home Automation setup, and can control most of my house gadgets, including TiVo, from my Home Automation platform, using an Android tablet or phone UI.  My family use this also, and "it just all works".

TiVo has the network control port and accepts connections over Telnet (31339) which means we (or any suitably configured app/platform) can control it.  

Does the 360 have similar capabilities with a published API?

13 REPLIES 13

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don't know the answer to the technical questions, but I do know that VM have stated that there is no impending forced update for existing V6/TiVo customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

mwarby
On our wavelength

I can see there is an http server on port 8081, but can’t see there is a published API

The mobile app does include a remote control, it’s possible it uses the open port on the box, but also possible that it goes via the cloud

I'd happily fling creds at a cloud server but my HA app doesn't (yet) speak to HTTPS properly, but I'll be rather narked if it has to use the cloud, as "what happens when your internet is down?" (I shouldn't need an internet connection to speak to something on my LAN....) 🙂

I could nobble up an HA to cloud HTTPS bridge however.  I've seen a Harmony app that uses MQTT messaging, so it looks like 'something' may be possible...

https://github.com/IIStevowII/ziggo-mediabox-next

But that is via cloud...

Hi

I have just completed my 360 upgrade and also have the issue of api to facilitate use of my  Control4 controllers. I am wondering if you found a way yet?

Can you confirm then that the existing TIVO IP control DOESN’T work on the new 360 boxes? If not, can they be controlled via IR as a temporary workaround (as I know the supplied remotes will likely be Bluetooth/RF)?

If these new boxes cannot be 3rd party controlled, I’m going to have to instruct my customers to steer clear of 360 and get SkyQ instead.

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Correct, the 360 platform has nothing to do with the TiVo OS so won't response to TiVo IP commands

However it will respond to IR commands from third party Harmony and One For All remotes. The commands those remotes need to use are for a 'Ziggo Box Next'

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-360/360-with-Harmony-remote/td-p/4428736
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Yep, thanks, just saw that useful info here too: Re: IP Control - Virgin Media Community - 4455674

Also, found the codes for that box here: Opgelost: Compacte Next IR codes voor o.a. Pronto - Ziggo Community so should be good to control via IR from our Crestron systems. Might have to try to reverse engineer the IP control from the app though!

russters
Tuning in

I take it there is no update on the IP control of the boxes yet?

I'm still using IR but it's not great.

Hi @russtersthanks a lot for your post here in the Community.

Unfortunately, we have no further news yet in terms of IP control of the TV360 boxes yet - please be assured that if and when this is available, we'll be sure to communicate this to you and all customers.

Many thanks

Tom_W