Menu
AngieH123
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

landline number porting

When joining Virgin I requested to keep my existing landline number and was assured I could. 3 1/2 weeks later and I'm still waiting. Every time I phone I get a different story. Its all in hand, it will happen within 48 hours... I still don't have my number, it takes up to an hour to get through to customer services & nothing is resolved.

Also, virgin cancelled the cancellation of my Plusnet account, so I've had to pay almost £40 for an extra month of Plusnet!

All I want is my phone number back. It shouldn't be this hard. An apology would be nice too. Or maybe an offer to pay the Plusnet bill for Broadband & phone .

Ca anyone help to resolve this shambolic mess please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: landline number porting

There certainly seems to be an issue, which may stem from the fact you cancelled your Plusnet account, which will stop the porting procedure.

Under OFCOM transfer rules the provider taking the new number must govern the entire process INCLUDING closing the account with the old provider. Giving notice yourself puts your account in a “pending disconnection” state under which the number becomes unavailable for porting.

Hopefully Virgin are making efforts to reinstate the number, but be warned this will sometimes fail & you could lose your number as a result.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: landline number porting

Good Morning AngeH123,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you.

I would have to advise that Virgin Media would only be able to close an account with a different provider if the only service you had with that provider was a phone line, this would close after the port has been completed and all services would therefore have been removed. 

If you open a Virgin Media account and request a number port with PlusNet but you still have TV and Broadband services, you will need to close that account as the account holder.

Accounts with your provider cannot be closed without the account holder passing data protection with the provider in question.

Can you please advise me what you've been told on the calls?

Kindest regards

David

0 Kudos