Menu
Highlighted
katrina222
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

home phone two problems one quick ring and goes off

I am not sure if the two are interlinked but my cable to our block of flats was cut a few years back and re joined by virgin media, I have notice that when it rains my phones crackle when picking up the handset and when someone is trying to ring me the bell rings just once and when I pick up the phone no one is there callers report one ring and cut off at their end, I have tried different phones, and to the master socket but since everything comes down the same cable here are the modem logs I know from a bt phone point of view the bell ringer is 50volts not sure what it is for virgin media.

below are logs

Screenshot 2018-10-30 at 21.24.43.pngScreenshot 2018-10-30 at 21.23.58.pngScreenshot 2018-10-30 at 21.23.07.pngScreenshot 2018-10-14 at 21.22.00.png

0 Kudos
katrina222
Tuning in
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: home phone two problems one quick ring and goes off

Screenshot 2018-10-30 at 21.23.07.pngScreenshot 2018-10-14 at 21.22.00.pngScreenshot 2018-10-31 at 20.44.27.pngScreenshot 2018-10-31 at 20.44.27.pngScreenshot 2018-10-31 at 20.46.57.png

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Downstream channel does show possible issue, this wouldn't impact telephone since works similar to BT with colour cables, there us currently around a weeks wait for the forum admin 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi katrina222, 

Thanks for your post - so sorry to understand that you're having some issues with your landline. 

Cheers for checking another handset already; that saves us asking again. 

How are things looking since your initial post - have you been able to get the help you need or do you require any further assistance? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
katrina222
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

An engineer called Rob called out and found that a joint in the cable had just been taped up and water got inside he commented that a waterproof box should have been used. Whilst the telephone has now been fixed I still have the same errors in the router. There are several joins in the cable the others are in a waterproof box but I am not sure why the modem keeps reporting critical errors and since Rob was only there to fix the land line problem I do wonder if the critical errors are causing any damage to the equipment.

thank you for looking in.

0 Kudos
katrina222
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

not sure why this image is always blanked out it shows the words critical, warning and will be my third attempt to post it

[MOD EDIT: You are receiving this message because an image you uploaded to the forum has been rejected in our approval process due to it containing personal information (your Hub MAC address). Please feel free to edit the image and upload it again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi katrina222,

Thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry to see you have had trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and things seem to be ok from this side. It may help to try the following so we can rule some things out:

Pop the hub into Modem Mode with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking at different times of the day.

Try on separate devices.

Check Ethernet cable. Make sure it is new / up to date. (Cat 5e or above).

Make sure device is capable of agreed speed.

Check wireless card slide.

Take care.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
katrina222
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

still problems with the home phone nothing to do with the ethernet cable which is cat 6e the issue in truth is power which fluctuates the cable has too many joins in it and is a very long run of cable. It will be my last contract with virgin media this cable has been in for years and with all the joints in it and noting that when it rains i get problems such as crackling on my phone line can only conclude that it is either the cable or something in the street cabinet.

I gave it a good try

thank you

0 Kudos
katrina222
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media does not care about its long term customers my complaint case was opened and closed straight away I went all over christmas without a telephone and finally got a cable re pull only for them not to turn up so not only the loss of the telephone over christmas and the new year but I also loose an afternoons pay despite making several telephone calls to ask where the cable pull/management team were?. I think I have learnt my lesson with this company who clearly must have too much money to care about its long term customer base.

No phone over Christmas and the New year! 

and now no turn out to resolve the issue.

shamefull that is all I can say.

sorry for the rant for those reading this

Gail

0 Kudos
katrina222
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

hi virgin media,

firstly well done for informing me that you could not re pull a new cable to my home for another month, because you say that the pipe is blocked!!!!!! well done for spraying it with light green paint unfortunately you picked  the wrong pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am the next property. all over christmas i had no incoming calls and a fault on my broadband. A cable re pull was scheduled for 11 Jan only for you not to bother turning up i lost an afternoons pay.

0 Kudos