Menu
Highlighted
sdm1970
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

VirginMedia incompetence has led to me losing my old phone number!

I was asked if i would like to keep my existing phone number when i spoke to the sales guy over the phone and i answered YES!

And yet i'm now stuck with a virgin number that is of no use to me as i have family around the world and in the UK along with friends and business contacts that have my original number.

My installation date was the 20th august and having spoken to Zack the previous week i was under the impression that he would be taking care of any number porting issues thus presumed i'd have no dealings with that side of things. I seem to recall he suggested it wouldn't be an issue keeping my original number.

I rang up SKY (my previous suppliers) a day or two after having agreed to have virgin installed and requested they cease my service from the 22nd August as it seemed pointless paying for two services to run concurrently. 

Installation date came and there was no issue there, the guy was helpful and got the service up and running in good time. When he handed me the paperwork i noticed a different phone number on the form and queried it with him, he told me it would take a week or so to port my old number across. No problem i thought, i'd assume by the time one company "talks" to another, any legalities are dealt with etc, a week would be about right so accepted that and left things as they were.

A week past and there was still no indication of my old number being activated; just the same "the number you have called has not been recognised...." message. So i rang virgin (45 minutes on the phone listening to the same song....surely virgin have access to a greater library of music??) and asked why it hadn't been connected? The guy told me that they had requested it but hadn't heard anything back and that he would make another request but it would take a week.

Another week passed by, i rang again (another 40+ minutes) only to be told that i had told the previous guy that i had said my previous line was with BT (whereas i have no recollection of saying that) and that they hadn't been able to fulfil my request. I then asked him why hadn't anyone called me back if there was an issue rather than me as the customer being left to do the chasing around!

Needless to say i was told it would take another week!

I must add that after the second week i tried to call Zack on the number he had so helpfully and enthusiastically provided to see what was happening from his end but received no answer or follow up call......i guess they're your mate when they're selling something but screw you the rest of the time! duly noted. I also emailed him but again, no reply!

So, i rang them yet again on Monday (9th Sept) and having got through to an agent i was informed that my old number was still deactivated and it would take yet another week to get it connected. I asked to speak to a manager as it was becoming increasingly frustrating to have to do all the chasing around and i finally got through to a guy who told me there was nothing they could do! It was suggested i call SKY and ask them to reconnect the line but when i rang them it was pretty much a tough luck attitude from them; the number's gone back into the pool, deal with it!

Apparently no request was made on my behalf until the 22nd August, two days after my installation date and probably a week or so after my conversation with Zack and because the number had been disconnected by SKY it seems there's no way of getting it back.

I've written to OFCOM and also a letter of complaint to virginmedia from whom i'm still awaiting a reply. I don't understand why it would be presumed that anyone moving over to the VirginMedia service would automatically want a new phone number? Surely the standard would be to assume folk want to keep their number but give them the option of having a new number?

I've no idea what happens next year when the contract is up and i'm tempted to tell virgin to stick it? Do i then lose this number as well and have to request yet another number from BT or whoever i move to? 

Resolution: Ideally VirginMedia should be calling who they need to call and doing what they need to do to get my number back. As i see it the fault lies solely with them. At no time was i informed not to cancel my (SKY) service, i was told the number being ported over would be dealt with. I've spent enough of my own time trying to sort this out when i could of been working. I'm self employed so time spent faffing around on this nonsense is time i could be working.

I was asked if i'd recommend VirginMedia to friends and family, right now i'd be warning anyone including my customers etc to stay well away.

Lastly i also contacted VirginMedia via twitter who suggested i post on here. 

Regards.

SDM

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: VirginMedia incompetence has led to me losing my old phone number!

Hi SDM,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

My apologies for the number issue. Let me see what I can do, I'll send you a PM now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

“I rang Sky a few days after signing for Virgin & cancelled my service”.

There’s your problem. Once you give notice to your old supplier your account is marked “pending disconnection” this effectively blocks any porting request by any other provider, hence Sky won’t release the number.

OFCOM will not help you there. Virgin/Sky are following OFCOMs rules, which state that the new provider must initiate the transfer INCLUDING the closure of the old telephone account, which will automatically cease on the date of the transfer. It is you that has not followed the correct procedure, which is on OFCOMs website. Only with mobile numbers do you cancel with the provider you are leaving.

You should only give notice to quit the Sky TV service. Sky Broadband & Phone will cease on the day Virgin have arranged with Sky to transfer the number.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
sdm1970
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

"It is you that has not followed the correct procedure"

bit harsh! Smiley Happy

I appreciate the reply though it would have been helpful to have that explained by the sales guy who just told me he would take care of the porting over. Should i really be expected to know the intricacies of OFCOM rules and regulations? 

It still doesn't explain why the request wasn't made until two days after installation though or is that standard procedure also?

I'd been with SKY for 18 years so needless to say i'm no au fait with the requirements.

0 Kudos