Menu
PMcE
Just joined
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin VOIP landline

Just been connected to virgin VOIP phone service.  Just the usual moans and groans, Virgin had not taken over old phone number - now have to wait several days to get this, not a real problem though.  

However I now only have one working phone in the house connected to the router - installer didn't try / couldn't connect / wasn't allowed by Virgin to connect up to existing internal cabling for extensions (no site survey completed).  Only option appears to be buy DECT phones and plug master into router - never liked these types of phones.

Does anyone know of any phones that operate over WiFi that I can use with virgin's VOIP service that i don't have to connect to router, or simple way of hooking up to current extensions?

Regards,

Peter

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin VOIP landline

The way the phone service works via the Hub 3.0 is that your master socket is located on the back of the Hub 3.0, rather than a separate wall socket. WiFi isn't involved.

Past that socket it works in the same way as standard phone line. Whether you can then get this connected to your existing sockets would be dependent on how those sockets are wired and who put them in.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Ken1312
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I had the Hub3 service installed a year ago when the Virgin phone service was not available in my area.

I enabled a VoIP phone system using a Cisco SIP interface and signed up with SIPGATE. All works fine. This also enabled me to use "old" smart mobiles by adding a SIP app. These give WiFi connectivity as well!. Most VoIP connections will use a SIP service to connect to a VoIP service provider. Apps are available for PCs , Android phones etc or a hardware adaptor such as the cisco SPA112

I now also have the updated service which uses the RJ11 phone port. A converter is plugged into the RJ11 to enable a UK (BT)  plug to be inserted. The adaptor also has a capacitor inside which effectively means one may connect an extension phone circuit. The purpose of the capacitor is to project the ringing circuit to older style phones.

I conclude that the Virgin service must have a voip adaptor in the Hub3 which connects to Vigin's own system. This means you are presented with a PSTN interface not a VoIP service.

If one wants to connect to another VoIP service then a suitably configured device is required.This is then connected to the ethernet lan. If the Virgin hub is in router mode the the device plugs into the local lan . If the Hub is in modem mode then the VoIP device will plug into the local LAN on the non Virgin router.

0 Kudos
zerodevide
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

So I'm in the process of being setup this way with VOIP. Does anyone have a picture they can upload of this rj11 to bt plug convertor?

I'm curious to know if this adaptor is included with the self install kit for new customers?

Where can I buy one? it sounds like you need something special if it has this capacitor inside ?

0 Kudos
Ken1312
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, From your description it sounds as though you have moved from a standard BT phone system to the Virgin service.

If you had a reasonably modern extention cabling you would have had a BT master socket and your extention cabling would be plugged into the master socket. To continue to use your existing extention cabling you need to simply unplug the conection to the BT master socket and plug it into the Virgin hub adaptor. All phones connected to the extention cabling should all ring together on an incoming call.The system uses three wires, two for audio signal and one for ringing signal.There are other forms of connection to the BT Master socket depending upon the age of the master socket. Some enbled the extention cable to be fitted without a plug. This was achieved by having a small panel which is pulled out to give access to the extention cable terminals. This too can be extened to the Virgin hub/adaptor by disconectecting the three wires from the BT master socket and extending those to plug into the Virgin hub/adaptor. A web search for BT master socket wiring brings up lots of relevant information.

On older systems ( last century) when phones actually had bells the wiring was different due to the power required to ring the bells.

0 Kudos
Ken1312
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi, The adaptor was supplied by Virgin.If one cannot get an adaptor with the capacitor, then a BT style Master socket can be wired to an RJ11 plug to connect to the Hub socket directly. Your phones and extention can then connect to the master socket.

Note thaty only one of the two RJ11 ports on the hub are active.

Ken

0 Kudos
zerodevide
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Convertor.gifRJ11 Plug to BT Socket Adaptor with RINGING CAPACITOR

I found this on flee bay - RJ11 Plug to BT Socket Adaptor with RINGING CAPACITOR 

hopefully this will do the job?

0 Kudos
Ken1312
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This link give a good explanation of extention wiring which may help.:-
http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I bought a twin pack of BTcordless phones one is upstairs and the other is plugged into the super hub router. They work fine and didn’t need an extension cable for the one upstairs.

Some things may not work on the Virgin VoIP service:

Some types of call blocking, I cannot seem to block anonymous calls but CAN block individual numbers.

Landline text messaging doesn’t work over Virgin’s VoIP service. Instead you will get a call reading out the message.

Some types of alarm systems may not work.

Pulse dialling will not work.

0 Kudos