Menu
emmylou1985
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Too many unsolicited calls

I moved in to my house in November 2016 i now receive about 4/5 unsolicited/nuisance calls every week day. I don't give out my house number to anyone (i don't even know the number), i hardly use the house phone.

I've had to switch my house phone to go to answer machine after 2 rings because it rings so much.

I'm not sure the best way to deal with this. Do i just disconnect my phone, cancel my home phone or try and get a new number?

I registered with TPS as soon as i moved in and received the number, when i answer the phone i ask them to take me off their list. When i can report them i do. When i dial 1471 to get the number most of them 'are from a network that can't transmit numbers'.

I'm only asking now as my line rental saver has just expired and i don't want to pay out for another year if it's worth cancelling my house phone.

Thank you for any help!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Too many unsolicited calls

Hi emmylou1985, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've been receiving calls such as this. 

They can be a common occurrence I'm afraid and are in fact not calling from Virgin Media. 

They are frustrating but we're also not able to do anything about them. Your best bet is registering your phone number with the TPS: Telephone Preference Service

It's not 100% but it did stop a lot of calls for me Smiley Happy As you've done this and still getting the calls, it may be worth trying a number change. Speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 for them to do this. 

If you still get the calls then we can look at moving you to a package with no landline instead. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
emmylou1985
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi

someone in the chat assistance helped me the other day. So I’ve now got a new phone number and fingers crossed I’ve not had an phone calls on the new number. 

I decided to keep the landline as my bill was going to go up over double to cancel it.

My new number is also TPS registered.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emmylou1985, 

Thanks so much for letting us know and keeping us posted about your number change. 

TPS are really good - I have had my number registered for a while and it's made a huge difference. 

Don't hesitate to pop back here or via our Facebook or Twitter pages if you need us for anything. 

^Katie

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos