Menu
Adamb1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Porting landline phone number

I am being forced to leave Virgin as we are moving and Virgin do not service the new property.

I am returning to Sky but have been told I am unlikely to be able to keep the phone number that I have had for 40+ years. This number was originally a Post Office / BT supplied number, not in one of Virgin's sequences. We are moving only a mile. OFCOM say that refusing is contrary to their regulations. I am unable to speak to anyone in Virgin who can give me any sensible answer as to how to do this. Call centre staff merely parrot their scripts. I have tried many times. It has been suggested to me that Virgin only do this when the transfer is to Sky! I can't believe they would be so petty. I am VERY frustrated and unhappy.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting landline phone number

This is Skys problem not virgin.  When i had to migrate away from Virgin Sky would not take my number either, BT did though with no problem

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

As far as I am aware you just tell sky the number you want ported and they take care of it, BUT the number must still be under your name at the time of portage, if you leave Virgin before you start the sky contract the number cannot be ported as it goes back into the number pool

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adamb1

I'm really sorry to hear about this situation, as others have mentioned blocking a number port to another provider based on business rivalry isn't something that we'd ever do, I can assure you.

If Sky have told you that it's not possible to port your telephone number, ask them why. Their porting processes are likely different to ours so any information I could give would be a guess at best, so contacting them directly for this information is the best option.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Adamb1
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sky have told me many times that it is Virgin's fault not theirs. They have now said that the number can only be ported at the time of making order with them. I tried at that time and was told it would be once both numbers are live as you have said. It is impossible to know who to believe. They say the only way is to cancel my order and start again. I can't do tahtas I move next week, and anyway it has been such a nightmare process I could't possibly go through it again.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about this Adamb1

This isn't something that we'd block, it sounds as if this wasn't requested when you spoke to them initially as I'm not sure what the difference would be for you to put the order through again if it's something we're at fault for!

We'll be here should you need any assistance with your services moving forward.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos