Menu
DavidW11
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Porting landline number

I'm looking to know what the chance are of keeping my old number as VM haven't transferred it to a new package? We've not moved property, were with VM before and obviously wanted to keep the same number as only the account holder/package has changed.

My old account was closed on last Friday night and the new account started on Saturday.

I've spent almost 5 hours on the phone today trying to sort this out, mainly making calls to Virgin 0345 and 0800 numbers from my Virgin mobile which I've been assured will not cost me anything?

Initially I was told it could be done. This then changed and the number wasn't able to be ported as it had been returned to BT and that the only way to get it back was to open a BT phone account to reactivate the number, then tell VM so they can port it over and then I'd have to cancel the BT contract in 14 days (or VM would do it for me). I spoke to BT and they confirmed this wasn't correct and I'd incur either the installation charge (£70 - 130) or have to pay out the remainder of the contract.

I tried to get back in touch with the person at VM who'd advised me to do this but spoke to other people and eventually was passed to someone in Glasgow. This lady advised there was nothing they could do and the number was lost. I asked if someone could speak to BT to sort this and apparently they can't.

I went back and forth with BT and VM and eventually spoke to John in Customer Services Glasgow who has filled out a Porting request form for my number that I've had for almost 30 years. He advised that the numbers don't immediately go back to BT (or number owner) and they hold them for around 14 days to reassign or port.

Hopefully I will get my original number back by 12th February and will continue to check daily to see if it has happened.

Are my chances good for getting my number back?

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Superfast
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting landline number

DavidW11 wrote:

I'm looking to know what the chance are of keeping my old number as VM haven't transferred it to a new package? We've not moved property, were with VM before and obviously wanted to keep the same number as only the account holder/package has changed.

Bet it is the "Account Holder" bit that messed you up.

Anyway when you filled the order in did you complete the bit saying to use your existing number?    If so clearly VM at fault and surely up to VM to sort out, hope they do.

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
DavidW11
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I sorted it over the phone and explained we were taking over the account that was previously in my Mother's name but weren't moving anywhere so would be keeping all the address and number details the same. The only difference was the name and Direct Debit account.

I'm genuinely aghast at how they could think I would want to change the number when I'm not moving.

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Possibly they set up a new account rather make changes.

Lets hope the team here next week will sort it out for you.

VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone.
0 Kudos
DavidW11
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Can anyone from the VM team shed any light on this?

My original number is still dead which is good as it means it's not in use but I've read many conflicting stories on this forum about porting in general. If it can't be done I need to know asap as getting the number back is vital.

0 Kudos
DavidW11
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just like to update people who may be in a similar position.

I've spoken to Charlotte (I assume from Customer Services) just now who has confirmed the number is still with VM and the request will take place by the 9th. It can be as quick as 72 hrs but they have to say 7-10 days. My original number hasn't gone anywhere and is available to port over to my current line.

Despite the assurances I'm still concerned it may not happen as has been detailed in other posts on this forum.

Why is there so much conflicting information between departments and VM employees? I feel half assured and half worried.

0 Kudos
DavidW11
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please could a member of the VM forum staff get in touch and look into this to assure me my original number will definitely be returned.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi DavidW11,

Thanks for posting on the community.

I'll check this for you but I'm just going to need to confirm your details first.

If you click on the purple envelope at the top right of the screen you will find a message from me in your inbox.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DavidW11
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting landline number SOLVED

I thought I'd update this post so that anyone else in a similar situation will be more informed. On Friday 9th Feb, my number was due to be ported back. I called 174 to check my own number and it was still the incorrect one.

I called VM and spoke to a nice lady named Courtney who had a look at what was happening. It transpired that the wrong Port Request Form had been filled out. There are apparently 2 versions, one is for porting your number from another provider (BT, SKY) to VM and the other is for internal porting where you're staying with VM. The first one can take 7-10 days and the other 2 days. 

I had an inkling that something wasn't correct when I spoke to someone earlier in the week, who asked which provider I was moving from as it wasn't noted on the form. I again explained that I wasn't switching providers but remaining with VM but she didn't say anything about the form and advised it would be 7-10 days.

Courtney filled out the correct form on Friday morning and by mid/late morning I had my original number back, so it can be as quick as a few hours for internal porting from VM to VM.

Whilst everything turned out right in the end, there does seem to be different information coming from departments and employees which is not good. Luckily it seems that certainly with internal porting your number is kept for 14 days for these kind of issues. After then it goes back to the number owner (in my case BT), but I'm not sure how successful you'd be getting it back from the owner to VM.

I'm glad I didn't take the word of Marvin who I originally spoke to as he claimed my number was lost forever. Intending no disrespect, he clearly didn't have a clue what was happening and know how to solve the problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting landline number SOLVED

Hi DavidW11

Thanks for taking the time to get back to us to let us know that this issue has been resolved, I'm glad to hear that you've got the number you initially requested. 

We'll be here should you need any assistance with your services moving forward.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos