Menu
andythebassman
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No phone service available in newly cabled area

Hi,

Signed up for tv and broadband package this morning in a newly cabled area. Unfortuately, a Virgin landline is not yet available as it's only a partial service.

My current supplier, TalkTalk don't offer a landline only so I can't cancel the tv/broadband part and keep my phone, so I'm looking at alternatives. I certainly don't want to pay TalkTalk £30 odd for their pitiful package as well as Virgin for theirs. I can go the BT route, but it's a £50 connection fee and £18.99 a month.

Question is, does anyone have any idea how long it can take to add a phoneline to a new partial service in a newly cabled area?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: No phone service available in newly cabled area

Hi andythebassman

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience you're experiencing with your services recently. 

The time taken to get you a working phone line depends on the reason that it's not yet been installed, I'd like to take a closer look at your account to see what action is being taken but I've not been able to using your Community details unfortunately. 

So I can take a look, could you respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information? You can view the message by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. 

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andy

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I've emailed the engineering manager in your area to ask about when a landline service will be available. 

As soon as I hear back from them, I'll be in touch to let you know.

Apologies again for the inconvenience this has caused

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
andythebassman
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No problem andythebassman

We'll talk very soon.

Craig

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I am pre-empting the reply here but:

Are you in one of the new Fibre-to-Home areas that previously had no cable at all in surrounding streets?

If you are then its likely that no Landline service is planned, in which case you will have been offered a special deal for BB/TV only with discounting for not having a phone line available.

The intention is that these areas will eventually have a VoIP internet phone service provided, as is the case with most other cable operators like Virgin Media Ireland now do.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
andythebassman
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

this is  a new service area which previously had no cable. Bit of a bummer that the lack of a landline wasn't mentioned beforehand. I could go with BT as an alternative, but that's a £50 connection fee and £18.99 a month line rental, which is a bit of a rip off in 2017 in my view.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hardware: https://bigupgadgets.com/uk/unlocked-linksys-pap2t-voip-pstn-phone-adapter-with-2x-phone-ports.html

Servie: https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/callpackages

No monthly cost for a incoming local number and you just top up and pay for the calls you made. You can also have a monrly package that inlcodes calls to UK landlines and monbiles for about £10/month. Much better savings. 

0 Kudos
andythebassman
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Looks worthy of further investigation, especially as it mentins I can use our current landline number.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi andythebassman

I've had word back from the team and the target for getting the telephone services installed in your area is January 2018. 

If you've not heard anything about this by then, get in touch and I'll chase this up for you again.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos