Menu
mikerich
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Nightime scam calls

I am receiving scam calls re "Your BT internet is about to be disconnected". These calls all come from different numbers. I have 'caller display' and do not answer unknown numbers. However these calls are now coming before I am awake in the morning and are becoming earlier each day. I have received these morning calls on four consecutive days, each one earlier than the previous. Today I answered and rang off when I realised what scam it was. Of course I do not have to answer but the calls wake me up and I do not want to disconnect my phone at night as I may receive a genuine emergency call from a known caller. I have reported this to Virgin who say they can do nothing and recommend registering with TPS - I am already registered and TPS cannot stop illegal calls from abroad.

These calls interrupt sleep - what can I do?

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nightime scam calls

Well, I think you've pretty much answered your own question.  There really isn't anything you can do to stop these calls except to disconnect your phone at night and you clearly don't want to do that.

We get these nuisance calls too but (touch wood) not at night time.  I have an answerphone on 24/7 which invites callers to announce themselves so I never have to pick up an unwanted call, but of course it doesn't stop the phone ringing.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Nightime scam calls

Hi

You could buy a cordless phone that has BT call Guardian built in and you should be able to block individual numbers plus call by type. You could also ask Virgin to change your number and make sure your new number is ex-directory.

To change numbers or talk about nuisance calls simply call 0800-953-3333.

The BT call guardian phones are good because you can set the phone to request the callers name before disturbing you and nuisance callers will generally ring off before answering any details.

Hope this helps! And if you do change numbers make sure you re-register it with the TPS.

0 Kudos