Menu
moboy
Joining in
Message 31 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line rental saver SCRAPPED!!!

I've tried to renew my line rental saver today (which doesn't expire for another 4 days). Upon calling the Uk based Call Centre I was told that the computer systems no longer enable them to renew the phone line rental even to existing customers so what the Customer Service person did was to put the £32 savings on to my Bill and was told I'll have to renegotiate my contract once it comes to an end in 12 months.

0 Kudos
Redletterday1
Just joined
Message 32 of 58
Flag for a moderator

A big thank you for this information. My elderly,parents are in their 80’s and by chance, my Father commented that this LRS had been discontinued as he called Virgin Media who explained the service no longer operated.

I looked this up online and found your comments on this website and got my Father to recall Virgin Media who confirmed that EXISTING customers on LRS are entitled to renew WITH THE DISCOUNT.

Your advice much appreciated, they were told straight away that this offer remains for existing customers on this service.

Thank you again for posting this outcome online.

0 Kudos
OzzyMills
Joining in
Message 33 of 58
Flag for a moderator

@Redletterday1 wrote:

A big thank you for this information. My elderly,parents are in their 80’s and by chance, my Father commented that this LRS had been discontinued as he called Virgin Media who explained the service no longer operated.

I looked this up online and found your comments on this website and got my Father to recall Virgin Media who confirmed that EXISTING customers on LRS are entitled to renew WITH THE DISCOUNT.

Your advice much appreciated, they were told straight away that this offer remains for existing customers on this service.

Thank you again for posting this outcome online.

When did your father renew his LRS? Also, he managed to renew it after it had totally expired? That's some good luck! 

0 Kudos
Billesleygriffo
Tuning in
Message 34 of 58
Flag for a moderator

You were lucky! I started this string by saying that my elderly parents found out that they were being charged line rental on their monthly Virgin bill, and when I queried this with Virgin customer service, their curt answer was that because the LRS had expired (due to no fault of my parents as my mom knew it was "due soon" to renew and pay the £196, but the fact that Virgin no longer sends out the reminder letter - dead crafty that!!!) they couldn't indeed renew it (long excuses as in previous comments on this post) In other words - tough sh*t 😡

0 Kudos
ganacus
Joining in
Message 35 of 58
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I spoke to Virgin media yesterday  25/09/2018,first spoke to someone in their foreign call centre, I told them I wanted to speak to someone in  retention,he asked we what was it about I told him it was about the line rental up front payment,he said we don't do it anymore. I said just put me through and I'll deal with it.SORTED because I had it before I've was offered an even better deal £40 A year for phone and broadband for 18months. Just be persistent .

0 Kudos
richpaul
Tuning in
Message 36 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Correct as above, this has stopped unless you renew BEFORE IT EXPIRES. You won't get a reminder.

Go through to 'Make changes to my package' > 'Add new services' > 'Line Rental Saver'. You will then get put in the queue to speak to an operator, no automated service any more.

Customer Services also said it's hit and miss if the system will let you. As of Sunday it worked for me though – £196, saving £32.

OzzyMills
Joining in
Message 37 of 58
Flag for a moderator

@richpaul wrote:

Correct as above, this has stopped unless you renew BEFORE IT EXPIRES. You won't get a reminder.

Go through to 'Make changes to my package' > 'Add new services' > 'Line Rental Saver'. You will then get put in the queue to speak to an operator, no automated service any more.

Customer Services also said it's hit and miss if the system will let you. As of Sunday it worked for me though – £196, saving £32.

I called 6 or 7 times to Virgin and couldn't renew last month - my LRS expired on 30 Sep. I spoke with the foreign call centre twice and the UK based call centres 4 or 5 times (Retention team twice). All said they couldn't renew my LRS. I gave up in the end!

This thread even gets coverage elsewhere! https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/customer-confusion-over-fate-of-virgin-medias-line-ren...

0 Kudos
Joeman60
Joining in
Message 38 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media In Violation Of Ofcom Rules

Line rental saver/Virgin Media Community

Line Rental Saver Link - Ring 150 & take the option for "change my services". Take the option for the phone service, & one of the next options will be LRS. The system for renewing requires a credit/debit card & is totally automated. If you still have an existing LRS in force, the new one should start consecutively from the old one.

0 Kudos
Anon
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: You CAN Have Your LRS Renewed

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread. It is interesting that their letter still states that beyond the cooling off period, the fee is non-refundable.

Under your rights to cancel due to the price increases, it is without penalty.  Therefore, by rights, a pro-rata refund should be paid for LRS if you exercise your contractual right to leave due to the price rise.  Before I get jumped on by anyone saying this is not true, OfCom clarified with BT over 18 months ago for trying the non-refund stance, therefore the same rules should apply to Virgin and they should by now be explicit that this is possible.  It was covered in The Guardian last November, but the wrong advice is still being given and customers are being dissuaded from leaving due to the threat of not having a refund - see the following linked article where it is quite explicit: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/nov/26/bt-wont-refund-line-rental-leaving-regulator

@DifferentLogin wrote:

OzzyMills, I am appalled by the way you have been treated by Virgin Media.  I was able to renew my LRS on 5 September 2018 by getting through to a UK Virgin Media call centre using the method described in my previous post.  My LRS was due to expire on 24 September 2018 and, like yourself, my previous bill (29 August 2018) had begun to include a £19 advance monthly phone rental charge again.  I have included a screenshot of my Virgin Media confirmation e-mail dated 5 September 2018 which you are welcome to mention to VM - I have redacted my e-mail address for security purposes.

The moral of the story is to AVOID foreign VM call centres at all cost.  It is disgraceful that they took your £196 payment for a service they said they could not provide.  Furthermore, they were not telling the truth when they said that they could not refund you your £196 because 'you had paid by credit card'.  My confirmation e-mail from VM (see below) says: 'If you cancel .....within 7 working days....we'll fully refund your advance payment to the debit or credit card you paid with'.  The foreign VM call centre should have given you a refund immediately you asked for it.  To regard it as 'credit' on your bill is not acceptable and is against VM stated policy.

Personally, I would not go along with the solution that VM have offered you.  I suspect that by agreeing to a £32 reduction, you will lose the chance of renewing your LRS next year.  You need VM to confirm that you have renewed your LRS and that it remains part of your contract.  You contacted VM before your renewal date.  Therefore you are entitled to continue with LRS saver this year and beyond.VM LRS Confirmation 050918.jpg

0 Kudos
PaulH2011
Dialled in
Message 40 of 58
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media In Violation Of Ofcom Rules

@Joeman60 wrote:

Line rental saver/Virgin Media Community

Line Rental Saver Link - Ring 150 & take the option for "change my services". Take the option for the phone service, & one of the next options will be LRS. The system for renewing requires a credit/debit card & is totally automated. If you still have an existing LRS in force, the new one should start consecutively from the old one.

Different for me today, my experience is similar to this tip on ISPreview:

To get to the LRS people when you call up (i.e. call 150 from a Virgin Phone Line or 0345 454 1111 from another phone) then
you should choose the following:

* Initially choose Option 1 for TV, Broadband, or Phone
* Then select Option 1 or 2 (depending if you’re calling from the phone that is on the account you want to talk about or
another phone)
* Then Option 4 Make changes to your package
* Then Option 1 Add a new service
* Then Option 2 Line Rental Saver

Press 1 for an automated text service or hold for an operator

If the former then enter your mobile number. Immediate text, reply with subject e.g. Line Rental Saver. Eventually got a text back saying it couldn't be done by text as a payment would be involved.

If the latter enter three characters from your password and wait for an offshore operator. Gave credit card details, said payment
had gone through, then waited a long time for confirmation of the change. In the meantime email confirmation of the payment was received, then the operator came back and said it couldn't be done as LRS had expired and she would refund me. I said LRS didn't expire for three weeks according to the bill but no joy, so I asked to speak to retentions.

UK helpdesk now who basically said I would have needed to request the extenion of LRS before the new bill had been produced as LRS 'expires' the day of the bill, even though the bill covers a period that only starts three weeks in the future. I then said I had been considering moving due to the cost and this is all the push I needed. The upshot was that he could put me on a package that reduced internet speed from 70M to 50M (I don't stream stuff) which puts me on a monthly charge slightly less than I was paying before even with the LRS discount, i.e. more than £20 less then the new bill.

Don't get angry, remain polite.

0 Kudos