Menu
jayceedove
Tuning in
Message 101 of 116
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line rental saver SCRAPPED!!!

I have been with Virgin for 5 years with Full House, All inclusive calls and pay a DD of £67.15 a month after recent increases. I have always paid line rental in advance as I have that money set aside and pay it in late May.

Owing to a recent death I now only have my pension to pay the bills having lost care allowance income. So I read this thread and decided to call to renew my line rental 7 weeks before it was due just to be sure I did not get caught out.

I also looked into Sky offers and decided to renogiate with VIrgin as I have not had any deals since the one on joining in 2014 and this was now financially necessary. Or failing any offers cut some channels to reduce costs a little.

I called to get my options and looked at removing the land line phone and consequent line rental altogether and going mobile but that proved to be more expensive not less as everyone had advised me it would.

And the only TV downgrade option involved losing so many channels to still pay more than what Sky were offering for no loss of channels.

I was then told that even though I was in time to renew my line rental saver because so few ever used it Virgin now do not offer it at all full stop even to existing customers asking for it to be renewed in time.

So they offered me their best deal as being £76.15 pm instead of the £67.15 I pay now. A rise in my monthly bills of £9 pm. Fair to say not what I came on to achieve.

They added that this was a special offer as it includes a discount on the line rental in compensation to those who had it. So next year I would imagine a sudden big rise on my bill could appear if they scrapped that discount.

Making it less than attractive.

Very disappointed as, whilst, technically, yes, this may be about a £90 (one year) discount it still feels like a price rise and could actually be another similar one next year atop the usual Virgin rise. I was not looking for any huge discount I should add. But this option felt like a tax on loyalty.

Looks as if I have been put in the position of having no option but to go elsewhere. Which is a shame and scrapping the line rental saver is fundametally the reason why I will become a lost customer.

Seems like a policy Virgin may have miscalculated if I am not the only one as this thread implies.

Shazzamma
On our wavelength
Message 102 of 116
Flag for a moderator

Nice one Billesleygriffo! Might try that myself, no one even rings me on the landline (apart from scam calls - but that's another story) let alone me ring out!
And quick update, received the £196 refund and they've credited £32 to my bill. Yay.
Paul_Moran
On our wavelength
Message 103 of 116
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I spoke to Virgin Media yesterday. The Customer Relations agent said he couldn’t renew my Line Rental Saver agreement. A few months ago, this option had also been withdrawn for existing customers who, like me, tried to renew before the “last date for renewal” (1st June in my case). However, he offered me an even better deal (IMO), which I accepted: a new 12-month contract, with a loyalty discount of £5/month for 12 months, and another discount of £12/month for 18 months. Without the Line Rental Saver, my monthly charge would have been £47.14 (£28.14 for Vivid 100 + £19 for line rental). Under the new contract, I will pay £30.14 for 12 months, then £35.14 for the following 6 months, and then the full whack of £47.14. By that time, I will have saved £276, which is more than 8 years’ worth of Line Rental Saver savings (£32 p.a.).

SteveW117
On our wavelength
Message 104 of 116
Flag for a moderator

Are these sorts of discounts available to everyone who's been with Virgin a while, or do you have to ring up and complain about LRS first? ;-)

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 105 of 116
Flag for a moderator

No more Line Rental Saver

https://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/line-ren...

Line rental saver - the legal stuff

Is no longer available to new customers and existing customers renewing their existing Line Rental Saver. Existing Line Rental Saver customers are unaffected by the withdrawal of this product but will not be able to renew their Line Rental Saver.

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Fibre optic
Message 106 of 116
Flag for a moderator

Re: No more Line Rental Saver

Good job I'd decided to ditch my landline come the end of the year when the line rental saver runs out.  I know someone is going to say it isn't going to save you that much, yahdeeyah, but I reckon it'll save me something just having broadband and no landline which I never use.

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Fibre optic
Message 107 of 116
Flag for a moderator

@SteveW117 wrote:

Are these sorts of discounts available to everyone who's been with Virgin a while, or do you have to ring up and complain about LRS first? ;-)

They're available to everyone, you need to ring retentions, i.e. choose thinking of leaving Virgin Media.

However, don't ring up and complain but rather request a review of your services and prices.  That's what I do.  You normally have to agree to another contract but it's always been worth it for me.  

tevaka
On our wavelength
Message 108 of 116
Flag for a moderator

I called Retentions after a foreign call centre processed my payment for LSR.Then told me it no longer existed !! He promised to refund it but 10 mins later I got an email thanking me for renewing my LSR ....

Next call I was told I could get a refund and my "new contract" would be £4 pm extra for all services.So lost £2.66 pm discount on phone = £6.66pm extra.I said I'll havd a refund and go to another company so was put through to Retentions.

I explained that I'd not been informed in any medium about the LSR finishing and how I'd had to ask for a refund after wrongly being charged for a non existent renewal.I got an apology and was offered the refund as payment of my bill for 3 and a bit months.Then a new lower priced contract at £13 pm less than my current Full House contract as a loyalty discount !

You can't really complain about that but so annoying that it took me reading this thread to get the facts and sort things out.

0 Kudos
v1nod
Tuning in
Message 109 of 116
Flag for a moderator

Fully agree with your point of views as a customer.

However, if you look at this 'issue' a bit deeper as a business, this are some fairly logical 'clues' this is giving.

a) If a product is discontinued, there could be a strategic reason behind making such a decision. For e.g VM may be planning to introduce VoIP phones (since their main revenue stream is cable and broadband, which, by design can support VoIP infrastructure) . This cuts huge costs to run expensive copper cables, which they can pass back to their  customers.

b) Naturally, issues and complaints are bound to happen to customers who are holding such products, where a discontinuation is going to affect them, especially from a billing point of view. This is not just unique to VM, for any company.

Am no way clamining that VM customer services are handling all of them brilliantly, however, sometimes keeping calm and moving with the flow of a business may result in brighter side of things?... Just thoughts.

Shazzamma
On our wavelength
Message 110 of 116
Flag for a moderator

Re: No more Line Rental Saver

Am seriously thinking of dumping landline...just elderly parents (although of course they have my mobile number) and a fax attached to it stop me. Although ain't used the fax in years lol...

0 Kudos