Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Line Rental

@nodrogd wrote:

This is why your phone service will still operate even when the Broadband service goes down.

That does depend on the nature of the fault.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 12 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I fail to see how VoIP calls can be made or received when broadband goes down unless there is power to the hub (and handset if it's a DECT). OFCOM has not mandated that this be done, and I've read that OpenReach is considering the installation of ONTs without the integral battery backup units.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
davepeters772
Tuning in
Message 13 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I am sorry but you are wrong I have had quite a few incidents in which the broadband when down and I couldn't use the phone to complain that my broadband was not working!!! So VOIP is very much dependent on the broadband service in which Virgin would make you think it isn't. The point is "Virgin Media's" reputation isn't getting any better and they are not doing themselves any favours. It was a service I tried and will be glad when my contract comes to an end! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@davepeters772 wrote:

I am sorry but you are wrong I have had quite a few incidents in which the broadband when down and I couldn't use the phone to complain that my broadband was not working!!! So VOIP is very much dependent on the broadband service in which Virgin would make you think it isn't. The point is "Virgin Media's" reputation isn't getting any better and they are not doing themselves any favours. It was a service I tried and will be glad when my contract comes to an end! 

21CV uses a seperate connection to that of your Broadband, so a fault at the headend CMTS will not cause the phone to go down, as it uses the same fibre kit as the landlines from the optical street node back to the headend exchange. Losing power at the customers premises is another matter.

Local nodes should have backup batteries to maintain the phone connections (Landline & VoIP), & if you are registered special needs VM provides battery backup facilities for those on the newer RFoG connections.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Sana544
Joining in
Message 15 of 16
Flag for a moderator

How can I get my telephone socket line back as I was not told about voip and I never agreed to it as the option was never discussed! I just want a normal telephone socket line as that what I wanted and agreed to pay!!!

0 Kudos
Sana544
Joining in
Message 16 of 16
Flag for a moderator

How can I get my telephone socket line back as I was not told about voip and I never agreed to it as the option was never discussed! I just want a normal telephone socket line as that what I wanted and agreed to pay!!!

0 Kudos